Not enough room to display full file name in Spotlight

Reaction score
Hi, I often work with documents that use long file names; when I'm searching up a document in spotlight, due to the small (and unadjustable) width of the spotlight window, there sometimes isn't enough room to display some of the file name of certain documents, so it's difficult/impossible to tell which version of a document I am looking at.
It seems that positioning the cursor over/right-clicking each file name doesn't produce any further information either.

To determine which version of a document is which in these instances there is of course the image of the document that is displayed, but due to some issue/incompatibility many of the documents I'm working on don't display correctly in spotlight, making it difficult to tell which version I am viewing until once I have opened the document via the relevant program, which is rather annoying.
Besides, even if the images did display correctly, it'd be comparatively tedious to have to scroll through each page of a given document in order to identify it (in cases where the first page doesn't help identify the version); identifying documents via file name is a far more efficient method of file identification.

So, to the question: is there any other quick way to view each file's full name (or any additional info for that matter) in Spotlight, without having to open it?

Thanks for your time.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You could try this:
-With a Finder window open, click View > Show Path Bar from the menu bar
-Perform a Spotlight search
-Scroll to the bottom of the results and click Show all in Finder...
-Click on one of the results, and it will show you the path of where the file is located
-You can resize the columns in that results window

Let us know if that helps,

C

Reaction score
Not a bad work around Cory, thank you.
A simple positioning of the mouse or right click, as can be used on, say, a shortcut, in order to get info about it, would be a little better, but hey.
I wonder if there is an extension that provides this function out there somewhere...

Last edited:

Ask a Question