SOLVED No Sound on iMac

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Londoner, try this

• Go to your Applications folder then go into the Utilities folder and launch Audio Midi Setup.app
  • Click on Built-In Output & make sure the Output tab is selected.
  • Make sure under the Format pull-down menu that 44100.0 Hz is selected.
  • In the Configure Speakers section you can click on the Stereo tab & then on the speaker (left front or right front) to play a sound.

( in my settings window the Master volume slider is all the way off & isn't selectable but I'm still getting sound. Beneath the master volume slider are 2 sliders which are selectable & I can alter the volume for each speaker.)

• Restart & report back with findings

Reaction score
Hi Londoner,

Spawn_Dooley's post is "right on the money", so to speak! I just went through everything he said. Below the Master Volume slider (also is not selectable), there are two sliders which are selectable (they say 1 and 2). For mine, the slider for #1 was to the left of center, but was all the way to the right for #2. Those sliders control the output volume for each speaker. So, you need to make sure both of them are not slid all the way to the left.

Regarding London, this will be our 4th trip there. But, for our upcoming trip, we will actually be in Southern Germany and Zurich most of the time. We will be in London from January 2nd through January 7th.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
honestone said:
Spawn_Dooley's post is "right on the money"

Hahaha honestone …. I'll pay that one ;)

Londoner, If you don't have any luck with the advice/instructions in my previous post, launch GarageBand (in applications folder) then quit it & log out then back in & check if you have sound …

Reaction score
Hahaha honestone …. I'll pay that one ;)

Londoner, If you don't have any luck with the advice/instructions in my previous post, launch GarageBand (in applications folder) then quit it & log out then back in & check if you have sound …

Londoner,

Just make sure that those two sliders I mentioned above are not all the way to the left, before trying Garage Band.

Reaction score
Oldscribe and Hinestone......I THINK I might have "cracked it".

Looks like it might have been the mute / loudspeaker symbol at the bottom left hand side of the you tube clips....it had a x next to it, suggesting it was muted ! I clicked on it when looking at various "test" clips and the sound was just fine again. Long may it last !!!!!!!

My thanks to you both.

Reaction score
Oldscribe (and Honestone) I don't know if my last post came through or not.....

I wanted to tell you that I THINK I might have fixed the sound problem.

Under the individual video clips on you tube etc., there was an x by the speaker symbol, indicating that it was muted. I clicked on it and it un muted. I've tried a couple and the sound was good again ! I'm just SO pleased !

Thank you again for all your time and help.

Ask a Question