SOLVED No Sound on iMac

Reaction score
Please can you help me. I'm a female senior citizen and do not understand technical problems.

A couple of days ago I had to unplug my iMac (Snow Leopard) desk top from the mains for about half a minute - one minute. When I plugged my computer back in, I couldn't get any sound from you tube, or any videos. I get sound on start up.

I checked that my sound wasn't muted.

I've been near to tears with the frustration of not being technical minded and knowing what to do ! Please can you help / advise me.

Thank you SO very much.

Reaction score
I've just posted my first thread on another page here, but I'm very unsure of everything yet.

I'm so desperate for someone's help with my iMac problem. Here's a copy of my post......

Please can you help me. I'm a female senior citizen and do not understand technical problems.

A couple of days ago I had to unplug my iMac (Snow Leopard) desk top from the mains for about half a minute - one minute. When I plugged my computer back in, I couldn't get any sound from you tube, or any videos. I get sound on start up.

I checked that my sound wasn't muted.

I've been near to tears with the frustration of not being technical minded and knowing what to do ! Please can you help / advise me.

Thank you SO very much.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Open System Preferences in the Dock

Click on the "Sound" icon under 'Hardware'

Click on the 'Output' tab

Report back what you see listed under "Select a device for sound output"

Reaction score
Hi,

Two things.
1) Make sure your volume control is high as my screen shot.
2) Try a set of head phones.

What are the results?

EDIT:
Sorry forgot screen shot.:(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 14.05.46.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 14.05.46.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 299
Reaction score
I can't understand it. The sound was perfect until I had to turn off my computer for less than a minute !

Reaction score
Hi,

Possible In order to reset both NVRAM and PRAM hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys at startup until you hear three startup chimes (this resets both PRAM and NVRAM)

Reaction score
I just tried that. Got the "start up sound" three times.......still no sound !

Now, my screen has gone really bright too !!!!!!! Can't seem to win.

Reaction score
Hi,

The three chimes are what we are looking for,so that was good.
I have a very funny feeling this could be a keyboard issue, try reducing the brightness via the keyboard. If nothing changes are you able to borrow a keyboard just to test.

Reaction score
How do I reduce the brightness via the keyboard ? I'm so sorry.

As for a spare keyboard, I don't know anyone with a Mac (mine is a small wireless one)

Reaction score
Oldscribe....I can't understand why I might have a keyboard issue with my sound, when all I did was turn my computer off for one minute. Sorry for my ignorance.

Reaction score
Hi,

Well done :) re brightness, regarding sound my thoughts were that the keyboard sound keys may be the problem. But as you have sorted brightness maybe not.

Double check the sound out port where you plug your head phones, look closely and see if there is a tiny red light.

Also look here at the Apple support doc about resetting the smc it has sound implications. Maybe print the article before you do it.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3964

Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Thank you Oldscribe.

I checked and there's not a red light where I plug the head phones in.

As for setting the SMC, I don't feel confident enough or knowledgeable enough. I had hoped that it would be something simple....hard to believe the huge problem, just for turning off my computer from the mains for such a short time.

I thank you sincerely for trying to help me, but it looks like I will have to give up !

Reaction score
Hi

It's not to hard maybe a little worrying first time.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
Am sure you will be fine give it a go.

Reaction score
Left it alone this morning, before I went completely nuts.

Tried your instructions above, but still nothing Oldscribe.

I just can't get over how such a small thing like turning the computer off, can cause such huge and complicated problems ! I'm so stressed with it.

Thank you for trying so hard to help me.

Reaction score
Hi,

As all is fine within system preferences nothing is grey and you have tried all the usual fixes, I am stumped and would sugest this may be hardware issue, so only option would be to get the iMac to an Apple care centre and get the techs to check it out.
Sorry I can not be more definitive but you have gone as far as you can.:(

Reaction score
Hi Londoner,

Glad oldscribe was able to provide as much assistance as possible. He is certainly a valuable resource on this board!

As he stated, since you've done everything possible to try and narrow down and fix the problem, it appears to be a hardware issue with the sound out port on your iMac, or possibly something more "internal". It would be nice (and a heck of alot less $$$$ (oops, pounds in your case)!) if it does turn out to be some sort of "weird" software issue. Let's hope it is.

By the way, our oldest son lives and works in London (we are located just south of Seattle, Washington), and in fact my wife and I will be going to Europe for Christmas and New Years to visit him. Should be a fun trip!

In any event, best of luck with the repair.

Reaction score
Honestone, you're right, Oldscribe certainly is an asset to this forum and has been extremely kind in trying to help me. Sadly, I think my computer will need to go to the "computer hospital". I think PC World would be my closest and I hate to think what they will charge me !!!!!

How nice that your eldest son lives in London Honestone. If you haven't been to London before I'm sure you will absolutely love it....it's a wonderful city and if you enjoy history, then London oozes SO much history and some absolutely wonderful buildings and stately homes to visit. Museums are usually free and extremely interesting. Also, many out of town places to visit too. Oh my goodness, I could go on and on.....

I hope that you and your wife enjoy London as much as my hubby and me have enjoyed America and the American people over the years. Hope you enjoy the trip/ visit of a life time and that you'll want to come back again and again.

Thank you once again Oldscribe for all of your help and advise.

Ask a Question