No more iSight?

Reaction score
I'm on course to buy an iSight, those aluminum cigar looking tube webcams, so I trotted over to the UK applestore and couldn't find one. I went to a few high st shops in my town and they had sold out. I asked if they'd be getting any more and they just said they've heard apple have stopped selling these in europe.

The only place I can seem to find one is 2nd hand ones on eBay or expensive ones shipped from the US.

Can anyone confirm that Apple have discontinued selling these little beauties, and if so why?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

as far as I know they had a problem with the packaging...something in it didn't conform to EU regulations, so they had to stop selling them !!!!

I'm not sure if you can get one, have you tried the Apple Store ?

I have one, but I need it !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Amazon.com has quite a few 3rd party sellers with used iSights - but prices are often 2x what they originally cost before the iSight was discontinued.

One possible alternative is a Unibrain Fire-i DV firewire cam.

USB web cams are such a ****-shoot on the Mac - so few models 'Just Work' so I set up a website www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com just to address this issue and help people find known Apple Macintosh OSX USB webcams that do. Webcams that are 'UVC-Compliant' are just plug and play - no drivers needed - on OSX 10.4.9 and above.

Ask a Question