New Macbook pro is freezing up!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new mac convert and I just got this brand new Macbook pro with Tiger OS X last week.

This is my problem this early:
Whenever I tried to update using "Software Update", my laptop freezes. I tried to update one item at a time, it still freezes at some.

Is this a memory problem? My laptop comes with 512.

Please help ASAP, before I think of going back to PC.:p

Reaction score
Hello Newmac and Welcome!

First off, congrats on switching!! Sorry to hear about your freezing problem. Let me see what I can do for you. Go to your applications folder. Scroll down to utilities. Open Utilities. Open Disk Utility. On the list on your left, click on your Macintosh HD drive. Click on repair disk permissions. After it's done repairing, restart your computer. Let us know how you get on!

Searay

Reaction score
Thank you Searay345 for the quick reply.
I followed your instructions to the tee. Frankly I didn't see any difference after I restarted. Did you mean me to try to update and see if it freezes again?

Reaction score
Hi Searay345,
After following your instructions, I tried to update again, and again my laptop froze.

Reaction score
Hello again,

What version of OS X are you running? 10.4.6, 10.4.7? If you are not sure, click the apple logo in the upper left hand corner and click on About this Mac. It will tell you what you are running.

Reaction score
Oh, you said that there are updates to install? do you know what programs are trying to be updated? iTunes, Quick Time, etc?

Reaction score
You said that when you try to update one at a time, it freezes at "some"

Which program updates is it freezing at?

Reaction score
Hi, I think I've solved the problem. I removed the Windows XP partition and tried the updates. No more freezing.
Does this mean that I need more memory to re-install Windows XP?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would stick in an extra 1GB chip, then your Mac should fly !

512MB really isn't enough to run OS X.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question