Macbook Pro freezing

Reaction score
I've having issues with my Macbook Pro for about a month now. They started just with random apps freezing temporarily. I figured this was a RAM issue (Activity Monitor frequently showed me as having only 64MB free.) So I upgraded to 2GB of RAM.

The problems began to worsen with freezing getting worse. Affecting other applications (it tends to be the larger apps like browser: Safari, Firefox, Camino; NetNewsWire, iTunes or Quicktime.) While frozen other things will still work such as the dock or dash and other programs can still run in the background (well movie and song files will freeze as well.) I tried going back to the old RAM but the freezing continued, everything just ran slower.

From here things got even worse, after restart the log-in screen would freeze when I tried to type in my name or password and often I wouldn't even get that far with it switching from the Apple logo at the beginning to a circle with a slash through it (like a 'do not' sign.) I then brought my mac to the apple store and apparently my hard drive completely died.

I'm out of warranty so I bought a new hard drive and replaced it myself. I tried using Time Machine to get back everything but the problems continued so I reinstalled Leopard completely and pulled my files separately from the Time Machine back-up. After this things seemed good for a time.

Now the problems have reared their ugly heads again with random freezing. Console log tells me nothing. I've tried Disk Utility but the hard drive appears fine. I even tried doing a diagnostic from the install disk and it came up with everything is hunky-dory.

The last little tidbit is that I can here my hard drive make a ticking sound (don't think the keyboard is screwing on as tightly as it could be after changing the innards.) It reminds me of a clock. It's continuous but not necessarily frequent or regular. Also whenever something freezes it always goes back to normal directly after one of those ticks.

Please help in anyway you can, I have no idea what's going on and the Geniuses have been next to no help to me. I'm in Week 8 of my quarter and can't really afford to hand over my computer to a repair center for any amount of time. Thanks in advance.

My specs are: Macbook Pro 15.4" 2GHz Intel Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 160GB HDD Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Ask a Question