New here, need help with buggy software

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm just a poor boy and my new (to me) Mac software doesn't love me. (To the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody)
This will be thread zone number three for me this week since attempting to install Final Cut Studio 2 on Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 3,1 with 8 cores of Xeon power and 12 gigs of RAM partitioned for Mavericks (which I'm on now specifically so I can surf the WWW) and Snow Leopard (which is VERY stable with my archaic Pro Apps, mainly Logic Pro, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, etc.)

Earlier this week I attempted to install a new-to-me- evil bay purchase of Final Cut Studio 2 which features Final Cut Pro version 6. I discovered THIS THREAD after the main app was dimmed/ greyed out and "skipped" in the installer window, assumedly because Logic Pro Studio (9) was already on that Snow Leopard partition. The pro apps file mentioned in that thread? I can't find it. $20 dollars later with the purchase of a Pacifist license, Final Cut is residing in my Applications folder -albeit not showing up in my Launch Pad- and it will open and show my name and serial number but it crashes each time. If it won't open I can't attempt an update and Software Update doesn't show me any for it anyway.
Bottom line, I had to use Pacifist to install my software but it keeps crashing upon starting. Suggestions? (I'm watching a few hard drives on evil bay to use for a clean install of all of my stuff. Oh what a joy....)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Part of the issue may be the version of Final Cut Studio, as version 2 came out before Snow Leopard and still had PPC code in it. Final Cut Studio (2009) would be a better fit for your Mac Pro when running Snow Leopard.

It may have detected the newer version on the Mavericks partition as you stated. Maybe you could manually download and install any updates, specifically the Pro App updates for that version.

Your Mac Pro can actually run Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, which would allow you to run the current version of Final Cut Pro X, but you would have to upgrade your video card.

The crashing can be for numerous reasons. I would lean towards an issue with the Pacifist install work-around, or needing software updates.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Cary Cooper. you're probably right about the updates. I'll grab those soon because....

As Snow Leopard is arguably one of the most stable of the Intel systems -so I've heard/ read, etc.- I think I'll continue to use it as the platform for my older Mac Pro Apps, those being Logic 9 and FCP6. If it ain't broke....

That said, I'm simply creating a brand new drive just for those two but doing a clean install of SL, FCP and Logic, in that order. Then I'll add in my Adobe CS6 Master Collection. (Though I miss Soundbooth...)

I'll take my Mavericks up to El Cap eventually when Safari gets dumped on Mav. Which it will. Thanks Apple devos.... I sorta regret selling off my trusty old G5, arguably the best of all mac desktops ever made. Sure smokes my quad Intel and my double quad Intel takes a close second as far as raw power. *sigh*

Ask a Question