New guy with an iMac/time capsule IP question

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've got a problem with my setup. Am using an iMac with the time capsule. Everything was working fine until we disconnected the CAT5 from the time capsule so it could be hooked directly to my wife's work computer. When I reconnected to the capsule, the iMac gives me an error message telling me the IP address is being used by another device. I'm no longer able to use the wireless system with my iMac.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this wireless system running again? I'm pretty new to the Mac and not that familiar with the OS.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

John (aka: juan)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Did you set up the Time Capsule yourself, Juan? It seems that you need a new IP address for it since your wife's work computer has taken over the one initially allocated to it in setup. What version of Mac OS X are you running as well as as much info about your Airport setup etc. Have a look here and see if these settings match yours:

AirPort Utility ~> Manual Setup ~> Internet Icon ~> Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)
I'm no Airport/Time Capsule expert but we'll see what we can do.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I did the setup myself and everything was working. I'll update the posting with the info you requested this evening when I get home as well as check what you've asked.

v/r

John (aka:juan)

Reaction score
Spawn,

messed around for a while. My system was telling me that the Airport had no IP address. Located an option to select some default settings and decided it couldn't get any worse. The default setting seem to have me up and running again. From what I can see, the default settings have be back to WEP and sharing a public IP address as opposed to the bridge mode. Not sure if this is good or bad. I'm going to see if I can connect with my new iPad. I'll be sure to post anything I find.

v/r

John

Ask a Question