New guy here.

Reaction score
I am switching over to mac and I have a macbook pro 15 inch mid 2010 and it reboots and gives me a massage I have read that it might be incompatible software so I am doing a fresh installation of el capitan but I am wondering if I should go back to Yosemite OS well I will keep reading see if I see a solution to my issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That message usually means that you have an older version of some application, normally things like Adobe Flash, Flip4Mac, third-party utilities, or an older hardware driver for a peripheral, that isn't compatible with El Capitan.

-What older applications do you have - Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.?
-Are there any applications you cannot live without?

We'll be glad to let you know if they are compatible.

C

Reaction score
I definitely need this Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite other than that I am ok I just cant have it reboot while i am working on it.

Reaction score
I have Microsoft Office 2011, and initially there were issues with Outlook and El Capitan. But, Microsoft released an update to Office to resolve that issue, and in fact has also issued a subsequent update. So, you should be using OS 10.11.1, and Office 2011 Version 14.5.8. You can get the update for Office 2011 from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49874

You mentioned that you are doing a fresh installation of El Capitan. Is that OS 10.11.1? If not, then
you can get the incremental OS 10.11.1 updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1845?locale=en_US

As always, you should have a backup first before applying these updates, especially the one for El Capitan.

Reaction score
well sadly enough after fresh installation I get a reboot right now this is the message I get
I added a copy of the shut down report if anyone can take a look and guide me in the right way.

Attachments

• Shut down .pdf
    37 KB · Views: 587
Reaction score
OK, the first thing would be whether you just upgraded Yosemite (I'm assuming you were running OS 10.10.5) to El Capitan (OS 10.11, or OS 10.11.1?), or that you completely Erased, Formatted, and Partitioned your internal drive, and then installed El Capitan (again, OS 10.11 or OS 10.11.1), From the "panic" report, based on my somewhat limited knowledge reading it, I suspect it was OS 10.11.

Secondly, did you make a backup of your system first before you "moved" to El Capitan?

Third, before the move to El Capitan, did you do anything/run any software to 1) clean off unnecessary stuff from the drive, and 2) verified the health of the drive?

Lastly, before you upgraded to El Capitan, did you insure that all your third party software was up to date and compatible with El Capitan? (I already provided you the link for upgrading Office 2011, assuming that is the version of Office that you have).

It would be very, very helpful if you provided all this information, so that we can help you better.

By the way, from what machine are you posting here?

Reaction score
OK, the first thing would be whether you just upgraded Yosemite (I'm assuming you were running OS 10.10.5) to El Capitan (OS 10.11, or OS 10.11.1?), or that you completely Erased, Formatted, and Partitioned your internal drive, and then installed El Capitan (again, OS 10.11 or OS 10.11.1), From the "panic" report, based on my somewhat limited knowledge reading it, I suspect it was OS 10.11.

Secondly, did you make a backup of your system first before you "moved" to El Capitan?

Third, before the move to El Capitan, did you do anything/run any software to 1) clean off unnecessary stuff from the drive, and 2) verified the health of the drive?

Lastly, before you upgraded to El Capitan, did you insure that all your third party software was up to date and compatible with El Capitan? (I already provided you the link for upgrading Office 2011, assuming that is the version of Office that you have).

It would be very, very helpful if you provided all this information, so that we can help you better.

By the way, from what machine are you posting here?
from the mac that has the issue and I am on El Capitan OS 10.11.1 considering rolling back to Yosemite see if the problem is still there after roll back or is it a hardware problem?

Reaction score
from the mac that has the issue and I am on El Capitan OS 10.11.1 considering rolling back to Yosemite see if the problem is still there after roll back or is it a hardware problem?

Again, we need to know whether your Mac was/is brand new, or was used. Also, again, how did you get to OS 10.11.1? And, what about a backup before you "moved" to OS 10.11.1?

It would be best if you try to determine whether it is hardware problem or not. Assuming you do not have a bootable backup, the only way to do that is to boot to the Recovery Partition, and run Disk Utility from there. This link discusses that partition, how to boot to it, and what it contains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

One thing that could help would be to repair permissions. But, the version of Disk Utility included with El Capitan no longer has that feature. You could use the excellent third party program called Onyx to perform that function, but there are specific versions of that software which are specific to the Mac OS X version one uses. That is, there is one version for Yosemite, and another version for El Capitan.

Reaction score
Again, we need to know whether your Mac was/is brand new, or was used. Also, again, how did you get to OS 10.11.1? And, what about a backup before you "moved" to OS 10.11.1?

It would be best if you try to determine whether it is hardware problem or not. Assuming you do not have a bootable backup, the only way to do that is to boot to the Recovery Partition, and run Disk Utility from there. This link discusses that partition, how to boot to it, and what it contains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

One thing that could help would be to repair permissions. But, the version of Disk Utility included with El Capitan no longer has that feature. You could use the excellent third party program called Onyx to perform that function, but there are specific versions of that software which are specific to the Mac OS X version one uses. That is, there is one version for Yosemite, and another version for El Capitan.
Thanks will try that option and it is a used mac Mac Book Pro 15" mid and I got to El Capitan OS 10.11.1 from the app store no there is no back up will try Yosemite and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Thanks will try that option and it is a used mac Mac Book Pro 15" mid and I got to El Capitan OS 10.11.1 from the app store no there is no back up will try Yosemite and see how it goes.

When I said "how did you get to OS 10.11.1", I meant that after you downloaded OS 10.11.1 from the App Store, was Yosemite still on your machine, and thus you just upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1, or was your drive empty, and then you did a clean installation of OS 10.11.1?

Reaction score
It had that os installed and no recovery i am trying to get a Yosemite os to install but no luck i keep rebooting once in awhile......i hope there is a solution for this.

Reaction score
When I said "how did you get to OS 10.11.1", I meant that after you downloaded OS 10.11.1 from the App Store, was Yosemite still on your machine, and thus you just upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1, or was your drive empty, and then you did a clean installation of OS 10.11.1?
I try to run a diagnostic and i get an error in there also....?

Reaction score
So, to be absolutely clear, OS 10.10.5, ie, Yosemite, was already installed on the machine, and when you downloaded El Capitan, OS 10.11.1, you just upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1. Is that correct?

Also, just saw your latest post, where you state "I try to run a diagnostic and i get an error in there also....?". Again, how exactly are you trying to do that? What diagnostic software are you using to do that?

Also, what do you mean by "no recovery"? If there is no Recovery HD partition on your internal drive, which happens sometimes, you have some challenges. When you say "i am trying to get a Yosemite os to install", how exactly are you trying to accomplish that? It is important that you provide us with the things you are trying, in a detailed manner. With all those details, we can help you better.

I have never tried the following approach, where a different OS is already installed on the drive, but I suspect it could work. Also, do you have anything critical on your internal drive that you can't live without? From one of your earlier posts, it seems like you must have Office 20111 and Adobe Creative Suite. Hence, you would need to at least copy those original applications somewhere. If you do not have an external drive, then maybe consider purchasing a Flash Drive. Not sure how big of such a drive you need, as they come in sizes of 8 gig, 16 gig, 32 gig, 64 gig, and 128 gig. Again, you will need to determine what stuff you absolutely must have before you proceed with my explanation below. Don't worry about Apple software, as the OS will install all that. Finally, make sure you have the latest version of the Install OS X Yosemite file someplace. That is typically in your Applications folder, but it would be best if you have a copy of it also (maybe on the flash drive).

OK, assuming you have that Install OS X Yosemite file someplace, there is a third party application you can use to create the Recovery HD partition. It is available from here:

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2014/07/recovery-partition-creator-3-8/

Just click on the link that says "Recovery Partition Creator 3.8". I have previously used it a couple of times, and it works flawlessly. After you download and install it, and then launch it, you will need to tell it where the Install OS X Yosemite file is. I believe this will still work, and give you the Yosemite version of that Recovery HD partition, even though you have OS 10.11.1 installed on your drive.

Once that is installed, you can boot to it like I described earlier, and then use Disk Utility there to 1) analyze the internal drive to make sure it is OK, 2) Erase, Format, and Partition (most likely if you only need 1 partition (as most folks do), the drive will already have 1 partition through the formatting), and 3) then perform a clean installation of OS 10.10.5.

After that is done, re-boot your machine (hopefully that will work), and then you can install the critical files/programs, etc. from the flash drive.

In any event, you'll need to first provide succinct answers to the questions I asked above, before proceeding. Also, in the future, whenever you are considering an OS upgrade, you should 1) insure that your applications will work with the new OS and/or new version of a current OS, 2) make a backup before applying any kind of OS upgrade, and 3) perform some disk maintenance/cleanup, again before upgrading. Doing that will definitely minimize any headaches. And, consider purchasing a more robust disk maintenance/repair program. Disk Utility is OK, but there are better choices, like Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro.

Reaction score
So, to be absolutely clear, OS 10.10.5, ie, Yosemite, was already installed on the machine, and when you downloaded El Capitan, OS 10.11.1, you just upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1. Is that correct?

Also, just saw your latest post, where you state "I try to run a diagnostic and i get an error in there also....?". Again, how exactly are you trying to do that? What diagnostic software are you using to do that?

Also, what do you mean by "no recovery"? If there is no Recovery HD partition on your internal drive, which happens sometimes, you have some challenges. When you say "i am trying to get a Yosemite os to install", how exactly are you trying to accomplish that? It is important that you provide us with the things you are trying, in a detailed manner. With all those details, we can help you better.

I have never tried the following approach, where a different OS is already installed on the drive, but I suspect it could work. Also, do you have anything critical on your internal drive that you can't live without? From one of your earlier posts, it seems like you must have Office 20111 and Adobe Creative Suite. Hence, you would need to at least copy those original applications somewhere. If you do not have an external drive, then maybe consider purchasing a Flash Drive. Not sure how big of such a drive you need, as they come in sizes of 8 gig, 16 gig, 32 gig, 64 gig, and 128 gig. Again, you will need to determine what stuff you absolutely must have before you proceed with my explanation below. Don't worry about Apple software, as the OS will install all that. Finally, make sure you have the latest version of the Install OS X Yosemite file someplace. That is typically in your Applications folder, but it would be best if you have a copy of it also (maybe on the flash drive).

OK, assuming you have that Install OS X Yosemite file someplace, there is a third party application you can use to create the Recovery HD partition. It is available from here:

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2014/07/recovery-partition-creator-3-8/

Just click on the link that says "Recovery Partition Creator 3.8". I have previously used it a couple of times, and it works flawlessly. After you download and install it, and then launch it, you will need to tell it where the Install OS X Yosemite file is. I believe this will still work, and give you the Yosemite version of that Recovery HD partition, even though you have OS 10.11.1 installed on your drive.

Once that is installed, you can boot to it like I described earlier, and then use Disk Utility there to 1) analyze the internal drive to make sure it is OK, 2) Erase, Format, and Partition (most likely if you only need 1 partition (as most folks do), the drive will already have 1 partition through the formatting), and 3) then perform a clean installation of OS 10.10.5.

After that is done, re-boot your machine (hopefully that will work), and then you can install the critical files/programs, etc. from the flash drive.

In any event, you'll need to first provide succinct answers to the questions I asked above, before proceeding. Also, in the future, whenever you are considering an OS upgrade, you should 1) insure that your applications will work with the new OS and/or new version of a current OS, 2) make a backup before applying any kind of OS upgrade, and 3) perform some disk maintenance/cleanup, again before upgrading. Doing that will definitely minimize any headaches. And, consider purchasing a more robust disk maintenance/repair program. Disk Utility is OK, but there are better choices, like Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro.
Ok sorry for the confusion I got the mac with the latest El Capitan os there is no recovery and other than that all I did was do a clean installation of El Capitan nothing more I have tried to install Yosemite but I cant find a single one to work with disk maker.

Reaction score
Ok sorry for the confusion I got the mac with the latest El Capitan os there is no recovery and other than that all I did was do a clean installation of El Capitan nothing more I have tried to install Yosemite but I cant find a single one to work with disk maker.

So, El Capitan was already there when you purchased the machine (I assume OS 10.11, or was it 10.11.1?), and you subsequently tried to "install/re-install" OS 10.11.1. Yet, you are still having issues. And, you want to go back to Yosemite. Do I have that correct?

Also, you state "I have tried to install Yosemite but I cant find a single one to work with disk maker". What do you mean by "disk maker"? And, do you have the latest version of the "Install OS X Yosemite" file?

I'm still thinking you will need to follow what I proposed above, ie:

1. Get a flash drive, and copy whatever critical stuff you have to the flash drive, including the "Install OS X Yosemite" file.

2. Download, install, and launch Recovery Partition Creator.

3. Go through the remainder of what I described above.

Now, the BIG IF with all this is that the internal hard drive is OK. Again, when you boot to (Yosemite version of) the Recovery HD partition, and use Disk Utility there, you'll find that out.

Reaction score
Ran across this today..?

You have the misfortune of having purchased a model identifier 6.2 MBP that has a history of GPU problems. There was a recall on these models but that has expired.

You may have the logic board replaced at your expense.

Ask a Question