New G4 Powerbook user

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using Windows XP on my desktop, and just recently purchased a G4, because I've wanted a laptop in my shop, and everything I've read indicates the Macs are superior to PCs...
Anyway, I've loaded ilife and iwork on this laptop, haven't had much time to play with it other than set up my calendar and check emails. This brings up my question - this system is the latest version, OSX, and had only the basic OS and then the programs I've loaded. I had an email come in with .xls attachments, so saved these documents to my documents folder, but, when I double click them to open, I am promted to choose an application to open them with because there is no default application choosen...I am not sure what default application to choose as any I've tried so far don't do the trick...I get a new message saying it can't be opened...etc.
I'm on a new learning curve, and would appreciate any suggestions. I am wondering if I need an Office program of some sort...
Thanks for any help,
Michelle

Reaction score
.xls extension is a Microsoft Office Excel worksheet document.

Unless you have MS Office Excel on your system, (or perhaps a compatible Excel reader) you will not open it.

FWIW you would experience the same issue on a standard PC if that PC did not have Excel installed.

Try downloading the 30 day test drive trial of Office for the Mac, and you should be able to open it at least :)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ffice2004.xml&secid=4&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True

Ask a Question