New 24inch, help please

Reaction score
I am about to purchase the latest 24” iMac, my 2011 21.5” is getting a bit long in the tooth. I need some help understanding the connectors on the back and a couple of other questions which I hope I can get some help with.

I want an optical drive and it seems the Apple USB SuperDrive is not compatible so suggestions would be helpful. I have a printer and external hard drive (used for backups) both USB connected, will these just plug in. I also need to plug my cameras memory card into the computer so I am thinking of purchasing this….. Satechi Aluminium USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter, will this just plug in the back or do I need some sort of adaptor?

The model I am going for is Apple iMac 2021, Apple M1 Chip, 8-Core GPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD 24 Inch I am also based in the UK so please no US shops for the drive if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
The old apple super drive is compatible, even though it is USB2. I have one connected to my new M1 24" iMac and all I did was buy a good quality USBc male to USB3 adaptor.. (I originally had bought some cheapie that did not work) you will need a Monterey compatible disk during program, I upgraded my That program to Toast 20 Pro, and all works well.

To connect everything else, you will need a usbC to usb 3 adaptors. but since there are ONLy 4 ports on the back, I have one port tied up with a USBc adaptor to a USB3 Hub... that means I can plug all my hard drives scanners (A3) and several printers, A4, A3+, 17" and 22" and still only use one back ports, with still many usb 3 port still for other things like Thumbdrives etc. (I actually prefer using a USB cables mouse for all my photoshop retouching as the magi mouse is far to sensitive for my few fingers that don't work well.)

you will have to update all drivers to Monterey compatible versions. (hubs don't need drivers)

I do recommend that any and all hubs that you may connect to the computer or daisy chain be POWERED hubs. I have noticed some slight problems early on when I was using up all the iMac back ports with devices that drew power from the computer. but since using powered hubs all has been sweet.

Regards, from Australia.

Reaction score
have not yet tested my super drive THROUGH any hub, as Apple always recommend it connected directly to the computer. So I only plug it in when I need it... don't know if it draws power if it not used. some tech should know that.

regards
Sandy

Reaction score
Thanks Nurgle2024, sorry I hadn't replied before been away for a few days, think I might have another question about transferring my data from old machine to new machine.

Reaction score
if you want to transfer stuff from old Mac and Mac portables to the new M1 iMac, your will probably find it easier transferring data via thumb drives or external drives, and there is only. complicated dish-mash of adapters and called to do it right now. as the M1 iMac only has usb & thunderbolt ports. and you need adaptors to go from Thunderbolt to a USB Mac to Thunderbolt small 800, to a firewire what ever model you old man has... I don't thing usbC can do that. if you get the usb only M1, then I don't thin, from what I have seen, it can't be done.

and there seem to be inconsistencies amount how aps like address book on the M1 import data// took me ages to try to import the file of data.. but finally did work. etc.

a for programs, you may find almost all the old Mac ones won't work due to Monterey or the M1 code.. but the modern equivalent are already out there...

I am still being driven nuts by the different way Photoshop 2022 now works on my M1 vs how CS6 used to work on my 2011 iMac.
etc...

so when you strike a problem feel free to ask..

regards, Sandy

Ask a Question