need some help

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls
I need some help for my friend who has an osx mac....she tried to rename the machine with her name aftersplitting with her boyfriend and to change the password in the system utilities and now cant access or login at all...it just wont accept her password and when offered to create a new one it does nothing.
Is there a way to boot in safe mode?...sorry I use a pc not a mac and am trying to help her due to the fact she cant get in to her machine at all.....she thought she could reinstall the os....? but needs to get a couple of documents off the machine first!
all and any help greatly appreciated...thanks:)

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Does she have the OS disks? She'll need those to change the password; it won't get rid of her documents.

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "Safe mode" on the mac. If recovering files is the issue, there is something called "target mode". Restart the computer and hold down the T key. When the funny logo appears on your screen, you can use a firewire cable and another mac to extract the files. If she doesn't have another mac, take it in to the apple store, and they would be happy to help for free.

Then she can reinstall the OS.

It may be possible to change the password and user name and it may not, but I would have to understand the situation better. I can only help so much through this website.

Ask a Question