Need some help buying an iMac

Reaction score
I have not yet decided to go with Mac vs. P.C., but if I do decide on Mac i am looking for some input as to which model to get.

i currently own a Mac pro early 2008 edition, with tons of memory, but it is starting to show its age (no more OS updates, and it seems to be writing a ton to the drive which slows it down. In any case, I am in need of a computer for the office.

I want FAST load times for my cloud services, some of which render PDFs or Tiffs and some of which just give me access to outlooks 365 email, calendar and accounting functions (along lines of quick books online).

With that in mind:

I need to know if it makes sense to get the Pro Vega 20 and 3.2 GHz 6 core 8th generation in the 21.5 inch ($2465 with vesa mount no stand), extended keyboard, trackpad and 1TB SSD, versus the

27 inch, 3.6Ghz 8 core 9th generation Radeon pro 586, 1TB SSD for $2849.
Will one of these models would give me noticeably faster page loads? And would a base model iMac Pro give me noticeably faster renderings?
My preference is for the smaller screen because I intend to have a second screen in portrait mode, and it seems like the 27 inch iMac is too large. Someone can convince me that you can never have too big a screen.... or that a split screen on 27 inches is better than a 21.5 inch screen and a second portrait mode, it should account for the fact that I am mostly looking at and writing word documents while keeping my e-mail open as well.

I expect any current iMac will do but my experience tells me to buy the best and use it forever and I don't want to regret anything especially if I am reviewing 10,000 Tiff flies housed on someone else's server and find that one model takes 1/2 a second longer to load pages than the other would.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Since most of the uses you llisted are online services, any current Mac model will be fine. The more powerful graphics cards won't make any difference for online cloud services. The current version of macOS will definitely make a difference, as older versions of Safari don't support some of the modern protocols used on the Internet today. In addition, these days your Internet connection plays more of a part in the speed of websites loading, as the current Mac hardware is more powerful than anything the Internet can throw at it. Most people have a fast enough connection for any web/cloud services.

Unless you will be doing professional-level audio/video, graphics, 3D/animation, etc., any model should be fine. RAM and storage are more important that processor/graphics for everyday usage.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you have additional questions.

C

Ask a Question