Need help: Unable to access my volume on Mountain Lion?

Reaction score
I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 nd cpu is Mac Mini. Since yesterday I am unable to find one of the volume, which is 120 gb in size. I don’t know what happened but this volume is not showing up in finder. I have very important daily usage files in the volume which are now invisible to me. This is strange as never ever such thing happened before on my mini. Is my hdd faulty, I need to get back some file urgently. Please help me as I don’t know what to do.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you see the partition in the left pane in Disc Utility? (Applications ~> Utilites)

Reaction score
I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 nd cpu is Mac Mini. Since yesterday I am unable to find one of the volume, which is 120 gb in size. I don’t know what happened but this volume is not showing up in finder. I have very important daily usage files in the volume which are now invisible to me. This is strange as never ever such thing happened before on my mini. Is my hdd faulty, I need to get back some file urgently. Please help me as I don’t know what to do.
First of all, please check in disk utility if your volume is accidentally made unmounted. Please click on ‘mount’ button to mount it back on mac.

Alternative method: if the disk utility can’t help then I am afraid there might be some bigger issues related to corruption with the volume. Since, you need files from the volume in question, you can try out few data recovery tools to reach to your files.

Check out demo of Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery (http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-osx-recovery.php) & Disk Drill (http://www.cleverfiles.com/) & (http://www.easeus.com/mac-data-recovery-software/drw-mac-free.htm)

I am sure the above tools will certainly help you locate data from unmounted files. But again, if there exists much bigger damage to the volume then even the tools might be of zero help.

Causes of unmounted volume may be – bad sectors, logical corruption such as directory corruption, physical damages may also make a partition inaccessible.

Anyways, take a tour of disk utility, your problem may be resolved there only.

Reaction score
@Spawn Dudley : - My partition shows unmounted in disk utility and the option to Mount is also disabled. Seems like it is unable to verify the disk??

@tompatrick : - As I mentioned to Spawn, disk utility offers no help in mounting the disk in question. I will try your suggestions too.

Reaction score
@Spawn Dudley : - My partition shows unmounted in disk utility and the option to Mount is also disabled. Seems like it is unable to verify the disk??

@tompatrick : - As I mentioned to Spawn, disk utility offers no help in mounting the disk in question. I will try your suggestions too.

Now, it looks like a possible partition corruption and this is certainly not good. First, you should look out for ways to pull out needy data from the volume, then after you can take risk to repair it. Use Installation disk to boot and run recovery mode to verify disk again.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could try booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R) and navigating to Disc Utility and try to Verify/Repair the partition

Ask a Question