Need help regarding privacy between users and other things

Reaction score
Ok, so I *thought* I understood macs. I was wrong. I have a pretty new intel 2 mac, running 10.5.2. Long story short, we're staying at my mothers house until our house is finished being renovated. Since I have the better computer, she agreed to store hers and use mine while we were here. I stupidly thought that having separate users, would be like having separate computers, minus the stuff to make it run. I was quite surprised to see all of my images...every. last. one. was also on her side of the the computer, under "all images" in the side bar. I don't understand why my stuff is showing up on her side. What can I do to change this?

Also, for some reason (this didn't happen on my old mac) it seems as though every image I ever set my eyes on is saved to my mac. I play online poker, 2 months later I find I have the images from every single player I played against saved on my mac. When I do an all images search or just type .jpg in the finder, it's insane the pics that come up that I have never saved to the computer. I am sure this takes up a ton of space, is there something I can do to fix that?

Lastly, lately my computer is starting to ask my admin PW for just about everything I try to do, such as moving a photo to trash, while I am logged in on the admins side. I looked to see what could be causing it, but I don't have any weird restrictions set.. any ideas?

Thanks SO much for your help!

I have been googling and watching tutorials all day and have not found the answers!

Reaction score
Ok, so I *thought* I understood macs. I was wrong. I have a pretty new intel 2 mac, running 10.5.2. Long story short, we're staying at my mothers house until our house is finished being renovated. Since I have the better computer, she agreed to store hers and use mine while we were here. I stupidly thought that having separate users, would be like having separate computers, minus the stuff to make it run. I was quite surprised to see all of my images...every. last. one. was also on her side of the the computer, under "all images" in the side bar. I don't understand why my stuff is showing up on her side. What can I do to change this?

Also, for some reason (this didn't happen on my old mac) it seems as though every image I ever set my eyes on is saved to my mac. I play online poker, 2 months later I find I have the images from every single player I played against saved on my mac. When I do an all images search or just type .jpg in the finder, it's insane the pics that come up that I have never saved to the computer. I am sure this takes up a ton of space, is there something I can do to fix that?

Lastly, lately my computer is starting to ask my admin PW for just about everything I try to do, such as moving a photo to trash, while I am logged in on the admins side. I looked to see what could be causing it, but I don't have any weird restrictions set.. any ideas?

Thanks SO much for your help!

I have been googling and watching tutorials all day and have not found the answers!
Hello, that's strange. Which type of user's account did you set up? When you set up another user's account on your Mac, it shouldn't have access to another user's home folder. Were the displayed images coming from your home folder, somewhere else or by any chance an external hard drive?
As far as pictures that are stored on your Mac is concerned, browsers save pictures on your Mac and you can delete them by emptying your browser's cache.
Perhaps repairing permissions will solve the problem of being asked for your password repeatedly. :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I just did the all image search, plus searched for .png, .tiff, .jpg and was disappointed when all I found where images that are on my HD belonging to either myself (iPhoto), the System or Apps .... I didn't clear my Cache recently either .... I'm missin' out.

I don't have Leopard but wondered if you had Sharing enabled in iPhoto would that show your images up in another account's sidebar?

Reaction score
I just did the all image search, plus searched for .png, .tiff, .jpg and was disappointed when all I found where images that are on my HD belonging to either myself (iPhoto), the System or Apps .... I didn't clear my Cache recently either .... I'm missin' out.

I don't have Leopard but wondered if you had Sharing enabled in iPhoto would that show your images up in another account's sidebar?

I just finished juicing my Safari cache and it weighs in at about 220 MB's.
Attachment 1 will show you everything it found and attachment 2 will show you my good friend Spawn Dooley's animated avatar which is located in the gif's folder with 3,267 other gifs that Safari cached. Our browsers save these files so the images will load faster the next time around. :)

Attachments

• SafariCache.jpg
    SafariCache.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 307
  • SafariCache2.jpg
    SafariCache2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 281

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Wow! Is that the Safari Cache at:

YourUserAccount ~> Library ~> Cache ~> Safari

Mine weighs in at 21.4 MB .... and was full of this:

20080406-p725urfbxggpea6rdwi3xue6a3.preview.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys... I set the other account (my moms) as a managed user. None of these photos are in iPhoto.. just a folder, I tried locking the folder, but then i started having to put my PW in for everything. It drove me nuts.. plus, say i wanted to trash something, it would ask for my PW, I would enter it.. and nothing would happen.

I am extremely frustrated right now..

I tried setting my moms up as a simple finder.. just apps, but it wasn't working right.. nothing was in her apps folder.. so i opened teh harddrive, and stuck things that she uses often in the folder for her, like safari.. but then, when i went to MY side, *I* couldn't use safari!!! When I moved it back to the HD on her side, I could use it again.

What the heck?
what should I do? Would reinstalling leopard help? will that wipe out all my stuff though?

Thanks again!!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you using Tiger or Leopard?

...but then, when i went to MY side, *I* couldn't use safari!!! When I moved it back to the HD on her side, I could use it again.

I'm curious about this quote from your previous post ... exactly what do you mean by your/her - side?

Reaction score
Leopard.. but "her side" i mean i logged on under her user name. I say side because my old OS way back when used to rotate when you changed users, like a cube or something.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I say side because my old OS way back when used to rotate when you changed users, like a cube or something.

That started in Tiger I believe, you mean that Leopard doesn't have this feature?

Try creating a fresh Standard (or whatever it may be in Leopard) account and just remove the apps from the Dock that you don't think are needed. You do this by clicking and holding on the Dock icon and then just dragging it upwards. You'll see a puff of virtual smoke and then it's no longer on the Dock. Of course you can also Control/Right-Click on an icon and select "Remove From Dock" but it's nowhere near as much fun.

You both share the Main Apps folder while I think there is another apps folder in each user account where you can put any App you later download. I don't do this and simply store all my Apps together in the System Applications Folder. This is the one both you and your mother will draw from when you launch Safari. Safari can be open in multiple accounts and run independently in them too.

Reaction score
Leopard.. but "her side" i mean i logged on under her user name. I say side because my old OS way back when used to rotate when you changed users, like a cube or something.

If all your Mom wants to do is check out her emails and do some browsing, there is a new account on Leopard called the "Guest Account". All you have to do to enable it is check the box next to the words "Allow guests to log into this computer". The nice thing about this particular account is (depending on how you look at it, of course) that when the "Guest" logs out, everything in their Home folder is deleted. Of course, if she's a Photoshop Wizard and wants to save her Photoshop files then this isn't the account that you want to set up.
Actually, I'd go with a Standard account.
Out of curiosity, where is the folder with the pictures located?

Ask a Question