Need help adding Airport to my existing wifi

Reaction score
I have a Dlink DGL 4300...I have 2 dell laptops....2 desk top pc's......xbox.....slingbox....I am wifi and hard wired through out my home. So I have a 4 port wifi router with a 8 port extension ....all is working well. I just bought an apple hifi speaker with an airport express. I was hoping to control the speaker wirelessly from my laptop....so now I went out a got an airport base station extreme. however I'm having one tough time setting it up with my existing network. I bought the base station to talk to the airport express so I can send music via airtunes to the hifi speaker. I need help with the router configuration....I'm totally lost and fed up....any help would be greatly appreciatted

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

without drawing out your whole Network Topology...

Try this first, connect the Speaker to the Airport express...then get one of the laptops and plug an ethernet cable between the Express and the laptop. Then load the Airport Admin Software thats on the CD.

I don't like to say RTM but without rexplaining it all, have a quick read, and then use the Admin software to set the Express to join the existing network...

This is how mine is set up, the Airport Base Station is the master and the Express is 'joined' to it and is plugged into the lounge Hifi.

airport-settings-001.jpg

airport-settings-002.jpg

airport-settings-003.jpg

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
If you give us the full iist of all the kit, and what connects with wires and what doesn't we can probably draw a diagram of how we thing it should be connected....

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ok....Dell laptop ..windows based. Using laptop wireless
Dlink DGL 4300 wireless router
Two other PC's plugged into my router
Slingbox plugged into my router, printer server aswell
As you can see I really love my wifi router.
So now I have an Airport base station which I plugged directly into my router and I plugged the ethernet into the WAN port of the base station. I open Airport Admin Utility and can see the base station. I open the config and thats it. I really dont know how to config the base station to my router. I also have an Airport Express with the Apple HIFI speaker. I cannot see the Express anywhere on my pc. I run Airport Setup Assistant and nothing shows up. What I'm trying do do is operate this HIFI speaker wirelessly....to do that you need a Airport express to operate the speaker....then you need an airport base to operate the express. Like I said ...I can only see the base with the admin utility. I can change the config of the base, but I don't know what I'm doing to get it to talk to my router...and or do I have to change my router config. I've been at this a couple days now and gee wilikers ....I'm having a tough time.....I can chug a beer in less than 4sec. ....if that'll help any :)

Ric

Reaction score
I'll add it to my intray tomorrow and try and draw you a network diagram...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question