MS WORD problem

Reaction score
When I try to open some of my documents in MS Word for Mac, I get a display saying that the author of the document (ME) wants me
To open the document in READ-ONLY mode, even though I am the author. Anyone know how to stop this ? I did nothing consciously
To allow this to happen.

Reaction score
This usually happens if the doc was saved in an old version of word and saved as a .doc file.

To fix this you need to open the file, then save it as a .docx file.

Reaction score
Hello again MacsBug - thanks for coming to the rescue again! Firstly, the files that do this are already in docx format, BUT one or two of them were made by including some old DOC files into a docx master file. I have tested your suggestion by opening a misbehaving docx file, making a small amendment to text and then closing it choosing Word 2004 - 2011 format. It is duly saved as doc file. On opening it in its new format, it still asks if I want to open as read-only. Next I opened it as a doc, made a small change, then closed it again choosing docx format. I then had two files - a doc and a docx. If I open either one I have the same problem. This not a crucial problem but it is very inconvenient. I have Nisus - little used but a brilliant word processor.

Reaction score
Continued : sorry for interruption// -- perhaps this could be used to clear whatever it is the problem. It can read all kinds of Word versions.

Reaction score
This sounds like a permission issue. This usually only happens if the files were moved to a new computer.

If you right click on one of the word files and select Get Info. In the permissions section Are you listed with Read & Write, or Read Only.

If your listed as read only, I can send you a script that I wrote to change this easily rather than doing 1 file at a time.

Reaction score
On both versions of the tested file (doc and docx) I am listed with read and write permissions. "staff" and "others" are read-only.

Reaction score
Where it shows that you have Read & Write is there a (Me) next to your name?

If there is, you may want to reinstall Office.

Reaction score
I would recommend reinstalling Office. Perhaps a library file got set with the wrong permissions.

Reaction score
Hi Macsbug - thanks for staying with my problem.

The Problem does not seem to be one of permissions because the message given reads as follows:

" The author would like you to open this as read-only, unless you need to make changes. Open as read-only?"

I answer NO and all works as normal. If answer is Yes, it does as it warns and nothing can be changed. It seems to suggest that
there is an option somewhere to allow the author of a document to stop anyone changing his work, even if they have the
Necessary permissions. I guess that there must be a switch somewhere in the document metadata that is checked when the
Document is loaded, but is there a way to undo that switch?

Reaction score
This problem must have a proper solution because the message must be intended and is obviously built into the MS Word product. For others who have come across it and cannot find a fix, here is a slow way I have found a way to fix the problem - but it is tedious and needs to be done one file at a time. In my case, from a collection of perhaps 50 files, about a dozen have this problem. All the files are very similar as regards styles and other formatting, so using a file that does not have the problem I take a copy and delete all the text. This leaves a template because styles etc remain without the text that uses them. Then the damaged file is stripped of all the formatting, leaving only undifferentiated text. This is then transferred into the empty template. The files are mostly text so the inherited styles are used to reconstruct the damaged file. When loaded this new file is free of whatever was causing the error. For anyone still looking for the reason, it began (or was noticed) soon after upgrading my OS from Mojave to Monterey.

Another problem with the same files has occurred - so just to notify everyone of the symptoms: When typing text in a perfectly normal manner, for no apparent reason, any key produces a ringing sound and no character is transferred. The cursor flashes at that point and there is no way of moving on, other than grabbing the mouse and moving its cursor over the text positioning cursor and clicking, thus allowing progress to resume. Sometimes the fault occurs again several times in a paragraph, other times only once in a session.

Ask a Question