MS Office Home & Student

Reaction score
OK, so I want to upgrade to a newer version of Office, as in Office 2019, and I want a subscriptionless one-time version, and not Office 365. Now the range in prices for these things is mind-boggling. Most big houses want $149.99, which I gather is "full price", but there are houses that seem to offer it for MUCH LESS. I don't want to get into sales on this forum, but I'd like to know, what do I NOT GET or what am I risking with these cheap offers? In the "you get what you pay for" philosophy, paying five times less might well get me a lot less. True? Has anyone used these el cheapo versions successfully?

Reaction score
Comparisons.
When I was still working, I was able to purchase office through my employer, I picked up the professional plus version for £8.95 (approx $11)

Reaction score
Wow. No insights here. Well, I could get Office 2019 for the list price, or I could get it for a third of the list price. Those bargain houses present hundreds of positive reviews, which they may have engineered themselves. But if they're for real, one wonders why anyone EVER pays list price.

Reaction score
But if they're for real, one wonders why anyone EVER pays list price.
Perhaps to ensure that Microsoft will actually activate the licence for the product :oops:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In my personal experience, I have always purchased software direct or from a well-known reseller and never had an issue. The old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" does apply a lot of the time, but not always. Many "discount" sites are geared towards educational staff/students, and are licensed by the software companies, but require confirmation of enrollment of some type. Many software companies do list their authorized online resellers on their website.

I have purchased some software in advertised bundles from companies I have dealt with in the past, or that were from larger Mac-based forum and websites. Honestly, it's a personal decision. It may be legit and it may not be.

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Ask a Question