Moving software from one Mac to another

Reaction score
Recently I did a clean install on my Mac (erased the HD and reinstalled the OS). I tried to reinstall the Adobe Creative Suite and failed repeatedly. I don't know whether it's my Adobe installation CDs, my CD reader or my HD which is failing me as I have evidence to support the failure of all three. Due to health reasons, I can't afford to pay someone to figure out what's wrong with my Mac and fix it.

The Creative Suite is still installed on my backup Mac. I'm planning to cannibalize that Mac for the additional HD, its RAM and, maybe, its CD reader. If I move that HD into this Mac with the Creative Suite (and everything else) still on it, will I be able to run it? Will I need to move all the pieces of the CS into the appropriate places on my main HD? Are the pieces so scattered when they're installed that I'll never be able to find them all and put them in the correct place?

IOW, can this be done without screwing things up royally? I can't think of another way to get the CS back onto my Mac.

If you're wondering why I don't just switch to the backup Mac, it's an older model G4 with less processing power and it makes a terrible noise when I turn it on (a high pitched whining that grates on the nerves ... maybe a bad fan?).

Heh, my problems aren't anything that some money and a trip to the Apple store couldn't fix. *G*

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

did the instalation show any error dialogs ?

CS does put stuff everywhere and can its not easy to track down all the bits...

Does the G4 backup Mac have the same version of OS as your main Mac ? If so then that drive should be able to boot it and work okay.

Another option would be to try and duplicate the install cd's and then use the new ones to do the install.

I have had that work on disks that won't install...for some reason the dupes tend to work.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Updating the OS on the backup G4's HD so it can be the boot disk for the newer one is a good idea, but I think I'll try your idea to dupe my Adobe install CDs first. I thought about trying that, but figured I'd just duplicate the error. It's worth a try now though as I'm getting desperate. Thanks for your reply.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had to try and run Photshop CS2 from an external disk the other day, copied from my main drive...but it won't run.

It gave me the 'Space Monkey' splash screen and closed...

ps2-splash-screen-alt.png

Proper Splash...

ps2-splash-screen.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question