Moving abroad & on the plane with my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
please note I am a complete novice, keep it simple :)

I am moving to a central american country using USA power supply, I believe I need to change my AC power plug (retaining the original MacBook Pro power adaptor port)
- is this the case ? and where can I buy the 2 pin AC power plug in the UK (within 10 days)

Secondly where do I store my MacBook Pro on the plane, is it carry on or hold ? I have this nightmare scenario of having it confiscated/binned by uniformed people (I do not intend to use it onboard,I just need to know it's flying with me...)

anything else I should be aware of ?
thanks in anticipation

karazelle

Reaction score
please note I am a complete novice, keep it simple :)

I am moving to a central american country using USA power supply, I believe I need to change my AC power plug (retaining the original MacBook Pro power adaptor port)
- is this the case ? and where can I buy the 2 pin AC power plug in the UK (within 10 days)

Secondly where do I store my MacBook Pro on the plane, is it carry on or hold ? I have this nightmare scenario of having it confiscated/binned by uniformed people (I do not intend to use it onboard,I just need to know it's flying with me...)

anything else I should be aware of ?
thanks in anticipation

a+b) You usually just go to the local apple shop and buy a local adaptor for your Mac model, and then you're done. www.apple.com/uk to find british shops.
As to whether you need to change your adaptor or can get away with some kind of "converter" for the pins depends on whether the country use 110 or 220 and 2 or 3 or some other configuration.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Welcome to mac-help.com! Take your laptop on the plane with you. I personally would never, ever let it get thrown into the cargo hold no matter how well it's protected in the suitcase. When you go through security, you will have to take the laptop out of its case. It gets hand-inspected and doesn't go through the x-ray. If you are paranoid about it getting confiscated, make sure there's nothing questionable on it; including any downloads you might have forgotten about. Hope your move goes well!

karazelle

Reaction score
Added note: It may pass through the X-ray machine. I have sent laptops through X-ray machines numerous times without any negative effect.

Ask a Question