More Disappointments with High Sierra

Reaction score
Also had problems with time delay in booting my MacBook Air. All changed when I removed my USB hum. Now. I remove that to start and then plug it in-all is OK! I do have a questions, I gotten a notification that the device drawing too much USB power has been shut down. 1) Why would it draw too much power and 2) what can I do about it? The device appears to be a CD/DVD external drive.
I've only been using a Mac since 1986 ... but what is a USB HUM ? ... Quack, I'm a duck ... after using DuckDuckGo to investigate, it's a typo ... USB HUB :)

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, but not that new to Mac. I have a mid-2009 27" mac, which I love! Just tried to update that to high Sierra....it's the first time an update/upgrade has failed to install for me. Now i can't get the OS to load at all....the installation is stuck at about the 20% mark. Upon first installation attempt (I've tried twice)- I got a failure message indicating a file was missing.
I've tried to install it to a 16GB USB drive....now I can't get the mac to completely boot/start up.

The original message I got related to missing an"...OSInstall.mpkg
Any ideas how I can kickstart this...?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, your iMac is "too old" to accept High Sierra. This link shows which Mac models it can be installed on:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

Sorry for the bad news. The other frustration I feel for you is that unless you have the file "Install macOS Sierra" somewhere, it will be difficult (and possibly impossible) to get it. However, this link looks promising:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Sierra is a very stable OS, and if you want to keep using your iMac for a few more years, that OS should serve you well.

One thing I would recommend is that you do a clean, fresh installation of Sierra, especially if you have (most of the time) just upgraded "in place", ie, allow the new OS to basically overwrite the old one. For that process, however, you will need to have a backup to an external device.

Reaction score
Thanks. I mis-quoted the mac as mid-2009. It's a late 2009. I checked the serial number; seemed to indicate I was on the early edge of 'acceptable', but point well-taken. I actually did exactly what you recommended. The installation and back-up recovery is proceeding currently. Thanks for the reply- I'm hoping it works! I back up daily, so thank goodness i can do a full restore if absolutely necessary. I just haven't used the disk utility much, or the OSInstaller options, so I'm trying to be cautious.

Reaction score
OK. I hope all goes well for you. And glad you are making backups! Just out of curiosity, what software do you use for backups?

Ask a Question