More applescript problems...

Reaction score
how do I check if an AppleWorks document is open? the way I do it now is this:

if "Macintosh HD:Users:KmanCat:Documents:ADocument.cwk" is (open) then

Reaction score
Here is another way. Use a tell for AppleWorks, and put the name of every open document into a list:

set c to {}
tell application "AppleWorks 6"
set b to count every document
repeat with d from 1 to b
set end of c to document d's name
end repeat
end tell

Hope this helps.

CAS

Reaction score
I don't think either of these are what i need...What i need is something that will run until a certain document is opened, at which point it opens a DIFFERENT document as well. this is my entire code...

on idle
if file "Macintosh HD:Users:KmanCat:Documents:Document1.cwk" is (open) then
open document "Macintosh HD:Users:KmanCat:Documents:Document2.cwk"
end tell
end if
end idle

the problem is that when i run the program, it says
<<script>> doesn't understand the "open" message

Reaction score
I see what you mean. Depending on how much memory it takes, you may need to utilize a handler that accesses AppleWorks and checks to see if a particular document is open or not. I believe that would be excessive. I am also unsure if the Finder can tell which documents are open inside of which applications, so you may be stuck with that anyway.

This would be an excellent post for MacScripter.net:

http://bbs.applescript.net/viewforum.php?id=2

CAS

Ric

Reaction score
Can I ask what the documents do ?

Understanding what you are trying to do may help in 'effecting' the right script for you...

...unless of course this has been answered at Macscripter !

This would be an excellent post for MacScripter.net:

Not a bad post for here either...

;-)

Reaction score
No, I have not posted it in MacScripter...
The documents are just word processing .cwk's (the extension for AppleWorks). If it would make it easier, I could turn them into MS Word files...

Reaction score
Not a bad post for here either...

Now Ric, don't get yourself all excited about my offering up MacScripter.net. I consider myself a slightly above average scripter, especially with AppleWorks. It just so happens that there are about a half dozen top notch scripters that check into MacScripter along with a couple hundred average types like myself. It is a great forum for more involved scripting issues, which I believe this may very well be.

I have been trying to keep an eye on your AS forum here, simply because I like scripting and would be happy to try to assist anyone that needs it.

Craig

Ric

Reaction score
kmancat said:
No, I have not posted it in MacScripter...
The documents are just word processing .cwk's (the extension for AppleWorks). If it would make it easier, I could turn them into MS Word files...

Not sure if you understood me correctly...

Is it just the case, that you want document 'x' to open when document 'y' is opened ?

Is it always the same two documents ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
oops...yeah i misunderstood you.

yes it is always the same two, and yes I want document 'x' to open when document 'y' is opened.

Reaction score
That isn't what i was thinking, but it works better than what i wanted! Thanks!

(wow...why didn't I think of that!?)

Reaction score
That is probably the best idea, Ric. Here is a script that will work with AppleWorks:

activate
open file "FULL:pATH:TO:DOCUMENT:A"
open file "FULL:pATH:TO:DOCUMENT:B"
end tell

When you run it, both documents will open to their most previously saved parameters. So, if you had one on the left of the screen, and one on the right when last you accessed them, they should come back the same way.

Good luck,

CAS

Ric

Reaction score
kmancat said:
That isn't what i was thinking, but it works better than what i wanted! Thanks!

(wow...why didn't I think of that!?)

No problem !

glad it works for you.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
casdvm said:
Now Ric, don't get yourself all excited about my offering up MacScripter.net. I consider myself a slightly above average scripter, especially with AppleWorks. It just so happens that there are about a half dozen top notch scripters that check into MacScripter along with a couple hundred average types like myself. It is a great forum for more involved scripting issues, which I believe this may very well be.

I have been trying to keep an eye on your AS forum here, simply because I like scripting and would be happy to try to assist anyone that needs it.

Craig

just my sense of humour...the wink at the end of the post, should have been emphasized more !

All help is much appreciated !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question