Missing password

Reaction score
I have a new laptop and am trying to set up a shared files system with my old desktop. I am supposed to type in a password for the new laptop but the password I thought I had set up doesn't seem to work. What now? Do I have to toss the new computer and buy a another one? It is not the password I use to start the computer nor is it my Apple password. I don't have any others that it might be

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did you perform a migration from your old Mac to the new one? If so, the password will be the same that you used before.
-Do you have more than one account on the new Mac - i.e. did you create an account during setup, and then migrate the data/accounts from your old Mac?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did you perform a migration from your old Mac to the new one? If so, the password will be the same that you used before.
-Do you have more than one account on the new Mac - i.e. did you create an account during setup, and then migrate the data/accounts from your old Mac?

C
I was attempting to perforem a migration from the old mac to the new one. So far as I can recall I have only used one password on the new one -- its the same as on the old mac . I wonder if the problem might be the name of the new mac and I just don't recall if I changed what was suggested as I was doing the setup

Reaction score
This is weird. I just tried it again but this time I initiated the migration on my old computer. No passwords were asked for and the setup seemed to be fine. In fact the migration was started. The problem is that you can't (I think) specify which documents or files you want to transfer so I stopped it to see if there is a way I can send only the half-dozen or so files and not all thousand, or whatever I have accumulated over the last 8 years.

Ask a Question