Mini Mac OSX help

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a 77 year old designer from the old school (before computers) and have managed to adjust with Mac's
but have never been practical with software! if it works... thats fine. In the summer I was advised to install Snow Leopard to improve my Mac but from then on I have been unable to open any of my Illustrator files as they just crash! It was suggested to buy and install CS4 which I did but I had to provide the original CS code. As I have had CS for many years as it was first installed on my G3 and then a G4 and now the Mini,
I have not got a clue as to the code or at the time it's relevance. The new CS4 has been installed on a 30 day trial even though I brought it new from Amazon for £93.00, if there had been a warning when offering the CS4
prior to ordering I could have checked out the best action!!!!!!!

Question: How can I get a new code for my old CS or can I buy an old CS with code and will it work with the
new CS4 or do I have to buy a full version of CS6 which is not only expensive to me but will be far to complex for my limited skills and need!

Any kind help or advice will be most appreciated.

Reaction score
How can I get a new code for my old CS
Sorry you can't. You have to find the manuals/licence/box you got with the original CS.

The new CS4 has been installed on a 30 day trial even though I brought it new from Amazon for £93.00
So this was an Upgrade? If it was an Upgrade then you have to enter the qualifying old serial number. If it wasn't an Upgrade then the new Serial number should have been supplied and you just have to enter that.

I have to buy a full version of CS6
This won't work on your old Mac Mini as its Intel only. So don't do this.

I moved to iDraw. Maybe not all you need, but a simple alternative and you can save as .svg (a standard file format) so you aren't locked in going forward.

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman,

The CS4 was never promoted as a "upgrade" if there had been some form of warning
on the box that stated 'this program can not be fully activated if you do not have the code
for your current Illustrator" then other options could be looked into!

I now have 10 days left of my trial then I have no CS4 which I brought in good faith and still
will be unable to use my CS or open old files etc, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a nice prospect for a 77 year old part time designer from the old school (no computers) facing the new year.

Reaction score
The CS4 was never promoted as a "upgrade" if there had been some form of warning on the box that stated 'this program can not be fully activated if you do not have the code for your current Illustrator" then other options could be looked into!
If its not an Upgrade then the new serial number must be there in the box, printed on the back of the licence agreement. Have a good look sometimes they are hard to spot. Should be a long number broken into 4 or 5 segments like 1234-5432-fr34-213 or similar. Note this is not a serial number;-)

Reaction score
Hi kaveman,

There is a misunderstanding. The CS4 I have purchased from Amazon is new and has a
code which is fine. The problem is that I have to provide the code for my existing CS which
I have had for years and has been transferred from my old G3 to a G4 and then to my current Mini all without any problem. But I have no recored of a code, box etc as it is such a
long time ago and I never realized it may be need at a latter date.

Reaction score
The problem is that I have to provide the code for my existing CS which I have had for years and has been transferred from my old G3 to a G4 and then to my current Mini all without any problem. But I have no recored of a code, box etc as it is such a long time ago and I never realized it may be need at a latter date.
Sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but if it is the full version then there is no need for your old Serial Number, why would they want that? If someone who had never owned CS brought it then they wouldn't have a previous S/n so couldn't provide it. Either its an Upgrade and requires it or its the Full version and doesn't, thats how Software normally works. But with Adobe who knows, as I said I gave up on them as they sell expensive, bug ridden, old software.

Reaction score
Thinks, have you registered it online with the Adobe Site? You have to do that, to get out of Demo Mode and must be online when you run the software, as it check with them ever so often.

Another reason I loath Adobe.

Reaction score
It's an upgrade yet on the box it just states 'Adobe Illustrator CS4'
Because thats what it is. Its Adobe Illustrator CS4 (Upgrade). So you can't use it without a qualifying Serial Number. You could try and get a refund from Amazon.

Reaction score
I have tracked down a full version of Illustrator 10.0 with code (not upgrade) but will it
work with Snow Leopard which I have installed on my Mini mac OSX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be so grateful for any confirmation.

Reaction score
What does it say on the box?

I'm sorry there is no way of just knowing, its not a version thing, its wether its PPC only.
There are 3 types of Mac software, PPC only, Universal, Intel only.

You haven't told us what your Mac Mini is?

Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain but I am not sure of the type of software and have asked the seller
and will confirm to the Forum. I was under the impression that this was not a problem with Mac's.
On the Mini Mac it is 0SX v10.4 (information in the box)! As stated previously I am not the most technical with computers!

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
The change to Intel Chips was a major change to the core engine, like swapping out a diesel an putting in a high performance petrol engine. For a long while developers released Universal Apps that ran on both, but there are so few people using PPCs now Apple and most other developers have drop all support for the old PPC Macs.

To see what chip yours is Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware Overview: > Processor Name:

Ask a Question