Mainly a keyboard issue on a MBP

Reaction score
Macbook Pro running 10.12.3.
Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015
Problem 1 - will not remain paired with any bluetooth mouse (including an Apple one, both fully charged) - drops the connection.
Problem 2 - Number row stopped working mostly - this is the main thing I am trying to address with steps below
Problem 3 - Constant reminders (pop-ups) to connect to iCloud which I have no use for and which I have logged out of.
Still have a few number row keys that work ~`-=
I have the keyboard image on the desktop and the dead keys don't light it up.
What I have tried, based on similar complaints of others (worked for others, not for me):
1 - Reset PRAM + restart
2 - Held down all bad keys together 5 sec + restart
3 - Hit option 5 times + restart
4 - Ran Disc Utility + First Aid + restart
5 - Checked all Accessibility Pref - "mouse keys" not selected
6 - Hit it with canned air
What do I do next? My local Apple resellers are idiots, probably not open anyway. Consulted a former Apple Genius and another reliable source and both think it is hardware, not software, but this does not explain why the above steps have fixed this problem (sometimes).
Is it time to wipe it and start over?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I agree with the former Apple Genius and reliable source that is sounds more like a hardware issue than software. In my experience, problems 1 and 2 may be related, and are normally caused by liquid/physical damage, but not always. It leans to hardware also because the backlight isn't working on the dead keys.

Problem 3 may be happening because you were/are signed into something with your Apple ID - iCloud, iTunes, Messages, etc.

-Have you tried other Bluetooth devices?
-Do you have a wired mouse or keyboard you can test with?

C

Reaction score
THANK YOU.

Currently I am reinstalling Sierra, and it's taking a long time, low bandwidth. Next I will try with my iMac's wired keyboard. I'll post the results.
Wondering if one of the cats has done this to me now. But I seldom use the MBP so that's not likely... though I am in a dusty, humid environment (India).
Appreciate your prompt response.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Cats - yes, that is a possibility! ;)

Please let us know if the reinstall has any effect on the issue.

C

Ask a Question