Mail u/s after Sierra upgrade

Reaction score
Complete frustration with Mail after Mavericks upgrade. My email pop a/c was working fine with Mavericks on my Mac Pro, and I upgraded to Sierra a few days ago (after cloning the startup disk to some antique drive). The Sierra upgrade went smoothly although one element from Belkin (my router) was rejected as being incompatible with Sierra. Now email simply doesn’t work - incoming and outgoings are ‘offline’. Connection doctor shows internet connected ok - but both POP and SMTP servers are rejected as incorrect.

I then remembered that a similar thing happened when I upgraded to Mavericks from snow leopard - countless hours experimenting with this or that before help from this forum got me going again.

So I decided that I HATE Mac Mail, and I bought AirMail 3 - but it too rejects my setup data, TestPop and Test SMTP both say the entries are invalid.

All was working fine with Mavericks so I went back to try to make Mail work — no joy, but the Mavericks parameters were transferred to Sierra Mail by the Apple upgrading process, not by me. What more can I do? Start-up from clone (Mavericks) is fine, email functions correctly as before - but that old disk is so slow!.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which element from your Belkin router was not compatible?
-Did your email provider change any of their server information?
-Does your email provider have a webmail login portal so you can verify your user name and password?
-Do you have any other email accounts that you can setup to determine if it is a system-wide issue or an account issue?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which element from your Belkin router was not compatible?
-Did your email provider change any of their server information?
-Does your email provider have a webmail login portal so you can verify your user name and password?
-Do you have any other email accounts that you can setup to determine if it is a system-wide issue or an account issue?

C
- Hi Cory message was sxuptp driver has not installed. please install the application again. I searched the net for 'sxuptp' and found loads of problems for Windows users due to this problem, but nothing for Mac.

- No - my server data has not changed in ten years.

- Yes - First thing I did was visit the portal to see my email. No problem. username and password accepted normally.

- I have (had?) a gmail a/c that is virtually unused. It behaves erratically and receives only google messages that do not interest me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-I believe that error is referencing a driver for a Belkin Network USB hub? Do you have one of those? It looks like a Windows-supported hub to allow network access of USB devices, correct?
-Which model Belkin Wi-Fi network router do you have?
-Was your email account setup as POP or IMAP in Apple Mail?

C

Reaction score
-I believe that error is referencing a driver for a Belkin Network USB hub? Do you have one of those? It looks like a Windows-supported hub to allow network access of USB devices, correct?
-Which model Belkin Wi-Fi network router do you have?
-Was your email account setup as POP or IMAP in Apple Mail?

C
Hi Cory - impressed that you work Sundays! "a Belkin Network USB hub?" - sorry - I don't know what that might be. But I have 3 printers all wi fi connected on the network, and they are all working normally.

My modem/router is a Belkin AC1200 Dual Band. About three years old it has been faultless.

My email a/c was set up as POP in Mail. A Pop setup was attempted with AirMail also.

One extra fact - I googled SXUPTP and got the info that it is a driver that seems to be giving problems to numbers of Windows users. I saw no Mac users with problem. Among the hits given was a reply to someone from LinkSys - apologising for the problem with SXUPTP and promising that they were working on the problem. So it may be something used by all router mfrs perhaps?

Thanks for your efforts by the way - so much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
My real job is M-F...I do this in my spare time, including the weekend. ;)

-I would try setting it up as IMAP - your email provider should have server/port information for setting it up in Apple Mail using IMAP.
-Also, does your ISP support IPv6?

That driver is for some devices from Belkin/Linksys, but not all routers. Maybe you had some software for an older device at one time, and during your OS X upgrades over the years, it finally raised an error?

No worries, that's why we are here.

C

Reaction score
My ISP helped get me onto IMAP email. We did it on the old (Mavericks) system and it worked. I later used the IMAP parameters for the Sierra Mail startup disk and it is exactly as for the old POP definitions - incoming and SMTP servers are said to be wrongly set up. When I asked him about IPv6 I understood nothing of his reply which had the character of saying 'we don't need to go there'.

I saw somewhere on the web that SXUPTP driver is good for OSX versions up to Yosemite - I can't check it as I cannot get a hold on Yosemite from the 'purchased' part of App Store. I downloaded Yosemite a while back for my MacBook Pro. I later overwrote it with El Capitan. Now the Appstore says "download" for El Capitan, but 'downloaded' (greyed out) for Yosemite, so I cannot get a grip on it.

I did have a previous Belkin router - and a couple of Linksys routers that were too feeble to work throughout my house. If they have left something lurking, I need to know how to ensure that all their bits and pieces have been zapped.

Sorry to be so useless.

Reaction score
My ISP helped get me onto IMAP email. We did it on the old (Mavericks) system and it worked. I later used the IMAP parameters for the Sierra Mail startup disk and it is exactly as for the old POP definitions - incoming and SMTP servers are said to be wrongly set up. When I asked him about IPv6 I understood nothing of his reply which had the character of saying 'we don't need to go there'.

I saw somewhere on the web that SXUPTP driver is good for OSX versions up to Yosemite - I can't check it as I cannot get a hold on Yosemite from the 'purchased' part of App Store. I downloaded Yosemite a while back for my MacBook Pro. I later overwrote it with El Capitan. Now the Appstore says "download" for El Capitan, but 'downloaded' (greyed out) for Yosemite, so I cannot get a grip on it.

I did have a previous Belkin router - and a couple of Linksys routers that were too feeble to work throughout my house. If they have left something lurking, I need to know how to ensure that all their bits and pieces have been zapped.

Sorry to be so useless.

Reaction score
This me again - EdSinger. An update: Contacted BElkin support - they cannot help. However, in my library I have discovered the following install log messages :

May 18 02:10:36 Sids-G5-2.local installd[26077]: kextcache: kext com.silex.driver.sxuptp 105019000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jun 3 11:50:01 Sids-G5-2.local installd[84067]: kextcache: kext com.silex.driver.sxuptp 105019000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Jul 19 19:22:04 Sids-G5-2.local installd[561]: kextcache: kext com.silex.driver.sxuptp 105019000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Aug 2 18:05:30 Sids-G5-2.local installd[2249]: kextcache: kext com.silex.driver.sxuptp 105019000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Sep 14 13:57:53 Sids-G5-2.local installd[521]: kextcache: kext com.silex.driver.sxuptp 105019000 is in exception list, allowing to load
Sep 27 08:42:38 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: Considering Migration of Bundle ID "com.silex.driver.sxuptp" Location "/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext": Migrating because the bundle is invalid (bundle ID or version is nil) and no local bundle exists.
Sep 27 08:42:38 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: Considering Migration of Bundle ID "com.silex.driver.sxuptp" Location "/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext": Migrating because the bundle is invalid (bundle ID or version is nil) and no local bundle exists.
Sep 27 08:42:38 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: System Defense: Hole-punching System Defense due to System Integrity Protection override for /System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext
Sep 27 08:42:40 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: Copy: /Volumes/NEW-Mac HD/Recovered Items/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext -> /Volumes/NEW-Mac HD/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext (0 MB - No Sandbox)
Sep 27 08:43:07 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: (SB) Shoving Sandbox file:///Volumes/NEW-Mac%20HD/Recovered%20Items/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext/ -> file:///Volumes/NEW-Mac%20HD/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext/ ...
Sep 27 08:43:07 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[520]: (SB) Done Shoving Sandbox file:///Volumes/NEW-Mac%20HD/Recovered%20Items/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext/ -> file:///Volumes/NEW-Mac%20HD/System/Library/Extensions/SXUPTP.kext/ (0)...
Sep 27 17:21:56 Sids-G5-2 system_installd[431]: kextcache: SXUPTP.kext is in exclude list; omitting.

Most of the above is double-dutch to me, but it would seem that this sxuptp thing has been suspect/troublesome for years, and finally OSX has decided to exclude it, after multiple reprieves. Googling it everywhichway I find an offer for a free upgrade - but it is for Windows users. I am still marooned, unable to use the new Dragon Dictate software unless I forego having email. Also my Mavericks backup is on an antique 8" disk which I do not trust. Help from any quarter would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Reaction score
Complete frustration with Mail after Mavericks upgrade. My email pop a/c was working fine with Mavericks on my Mac Pro, and I upgraded to Sierra a few days ago (after cloning the startup disk to some antique drive). The Sierra upgrade went smoothly although one element from Belkin (my router) was rejected as being incompatible with Sierra. Now email simply doesn’t work - incoming and outgoings are ‘offline’. Connection doctor shows internet connected ok - but both POP and SMTP servers are rejected as incorrect.

I then remembered that a similar thing happened when I upgraded to Mavericks from snow leopard - countless hours experimenting with this or that before help from this forum got me going again.

So I decided that I HATE Mac Mail, and I bought AirMail 3 - but it too rejects my setup data, TestPop and Test SMTP both say the entries are invalid.

All was working fine with Mavericks so I went back to try to make Mail work — no joy, but the Mavericks parameters were transferred to Sierra Mail by the Apple upgrading process, not by me. What more can I do? Start-up from clone (Mavericks) is fine, email functions correctly as before - but that old disk is so slow!.

I've been using Mac Mail since it first came out. Have gone through all the mazes since my first Internet Service Provider (ISP)went out of business. Many years later, disgusted with the email providers, bought my own domain with Network Solutions. It's never simple. To solve your problem, no matter which expert you choose, they will have to know what Model Mac you're using, (Mine's a early 2010 Pro Tower flashed to 5.1). Then what OS you're running, the name of your ISP, and which version of Mac Mail you're using. The problem could be with any of these.
My Current ISP with Network Solutions still won't let me receive eMail from my Canadian Correspondent of many years. "If you think. a computer is saving you time; I have a couple of under water swampland lots that you might be interested in buying." ~The Ole Curmudgeon

Ask a Question