MacBook Pro will not come out of sleep IF plugged in

Reaction score
Hello, my MacBook Pro 13" mid-2010 does not wake up from sleep when plugged into a power source.

If it runs on battery it wakes up just fine.

I've tried to reset PRAM and SMC (although I'm not sure the latter was successful, I read somewhere that the light on the MagSafe should change color, mine does nothing).

Also, I have run the AHT test, both, the fast one and the extended. Same result, no trouble found.

I've done a clean install of OS X El Capitan with a brand new SSD hard drive.
Doing so didn't fix my issue, but it slightly changed it...

Before (with Lion) the MacBook wouldn't wake up after closing the lid if plugged in, but it would wake up after going to sleep with the lid open.

Basically, I could never close the lid while charging the laptop.
If that happened I had to shut down the computer holding down the power button and start it again...

Now it does not wake up at all if plugged in, regardless of the lid!

I've found people online having the opposite problem, as in their MacBooks don't wake up when using the battery, but work fine while plugged in.

Changing the battery fixed their problem.

So I'm wondering, could the MagSafe cause my issue?

Any suggestions?

Sorry if it somewhat confusing, but English is not my first language, so hopefully it is clear enough...
Thanks in advance for your help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Reset the SMC on Mac notebook computers
First determine whether the battery is removable. Mac notebook computers that have a nonremovable battery include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015). Learn more about Mac notebook batteries.

If the battery is nonremovable
  1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
It could be a bad battery. Also, are you using the proper 60W MagSafe Power Adapter - the 45W from a MacBook Air will not work.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory, and thank you.

I was able to perform an SMC Reset, unfortunately, it did not solve the issue though.

I'm using the original MagSafe that came up with my MacBook.

Do you mind explaining to me why you think that it could be the battery?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Batteries have been known to cause some of the issues you are having, as you mentioned that others have stated. Even though a battery shows as good, if t is lose to failing or halfway through its useful life, strange power-related issues can occur. I am not saying that it definitely would fix the issues, but it is possible.

There could be other hardware issues as well - maybe a bad sleep sensor, etc. You could always take it to an Apple Store and have the run a full hardware diagnostic to check everything out.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Batteries have been known to cause some of the issues you are having, as you mentioned that others have stated. Even though a battery shows as good, if t is lose to failing or halfway through its useful life, strange power-related issues can occur. I am not saying that it definitely would fix the issues, but it is possible.

C

The only weird thing is that all the others have the opposite problem, as in their MacBooks won't wake while on battery and wake just fine if connected to a charger.

Anyway, I already have a new battery, I'm gonna put it on and let you know how it goes!

Ask a Question