MacBook Pro hardware problem

Reaction score
When my husband retired in 2014 I bought a MacBook Pro because I thought it would last me a long time and would be reliable. I used it on Wednesday morning and on Wednesday afternoon I pressed the on button but it doesn't boot on. I tried several times and then I contacted Apple. The technician gave me several things to try to reboot it but with no avail. She then said it was a hardware problem and to make an appointment to take it to an Apple Store. I live 30 miles away from the nearest store and there are no appointments before Christmas.

I am really disappointed that this has happened and worried about the possible cost of fixing it. Could anyone give me an idea how much it will cost. Surely it should have lasted longer than 22 months.

Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to give you a cost without knowing what the actual hardware issue is.

-Did you purchase AppleCare with the MacBook Pro?
-Is there any physical/liquid damage?
-Is it simply not powering on?
-What steps did they take you through to troubleshoot?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. No unfortunately I didn't purchase AppleCare. There is no physical/liquid damage. It was working perfectly on Wednesday morning. When you hit the on button it chimes and you think it is coming on but that is as far as it goes. The technician told me to do

Alt, command, p and r - nothing

Then

Shift, contr, alt and power - nothing

Lastly

Command and r - still nothing.

Then she said it was a hardware problem. It really is devastating because it cost a lot of money to last only 22 months.

Jane

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries, that's why we are here.

Those are the steps I would have suggested for you to try as well. Yes, it is devastating, but all electronics fail eventually - some sooner than others.

Depending on where you live, there may be a flat-rate repair available, as long as they don't find any physical/liquid damage. I assume they instructed you to take it in to the nearest Apple Store for further diagnosis/repair. They can then give you the options that are available. There really isn't much more we can suggest, as it does sound like a hardware failure of some sort. Sorry to hear of your issue and I hope it turns out well for you.

Best holiday wishes,

C

Ask a Question