MacBook Pro CD Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

Got my MacBook Pro the other day and was burning a cd when it screwed up - no biggy. Problem being I couldn't eject the cd. So, I decided to restart my laptop guessing that the drive would unmount on start up and I could pop out the CD.

My laptop now will not boot as it keeps on trying to read this cd in the drive to see if it can boot off of it. I've tried holding the mouse button down, eject down, F12 down, booting into safe mode. If i could get into the terminal I would try the commands I found on here.

Please help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can you boot into single user mode ?

reboot holding down command + s

let us know if it boots in Single user mode ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Didn't work.

I looked on the mac support forums and other people are having teh same problem.

The laptop keeps trying to identify the cd to figure out if its bootable, and since its a bad cd it keeps trying over and over. For some ridiculous reason, it does not accept commands. Not any of teh eject commands, not teh single single user commands, nothing... it just keeps trying to read the CD.

The responses I keep getting are take it to apple and have them replace the drive. It's covered under the warranty but still annoying. Was hoping there was some way of getting around this rather then taking it in to get the drive replaced.

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried holding the MBP vertically and pressing the eject key...to see if gravity helps...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The computer doesn't even accept the eject command. It just keeps spinning up the cd over and over again.

Its not an issue of a weak ejecting motor, it's an issue of a stupid boot order and the fact that I can't issue any commands until the CD can be read - which it can't be because its a bad burn that I was trying to eject by restarting the computer.

Apple forums thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2137270&#2137270

Ric

Reaction score
Taking them apart is not for the faint hearted...

There's a guide here, as for the warranty, pretty sure it will invalidate it...but how do they know !

Once you've opened it up it should be fairly easy to get the cd out...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hello.

Mine is a powerbook, but I had a similar problem on a previous occasion - the cd could not be ejected and I could not boot up the computer as it kept trying to read the cd.

After I shut down the powerbook, I took out the battery. Then I put the battery back in and restarted the computer, all the while holding down the eject key. For some reason this worked and I got my cd out.

I don't know if this will work for you but maybe you'd like to give it a try.

Hope your problem is solved soon. Good luck!!

best
iryskel

Reaction score
I tried the popping out the battery and it didn't work. The laptop keeps trying to spin up that damned CD.

Ric

Reaction score
...I'd of took a can opener to it by now ;-)

According to the Apple website my Technician Training Pack is due to be delivered via TNT tomorrow...so hopefully it will unlock a few resources on the Apple website...which I shall have a look to see if they have any magic tips...

Have you given AppleCare a call yet, I'd be interested to see what they say ?

Regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hey Ric,

I have the Apple Technician Training kit (older version). There are some great additional, private resources available, but you have covered every possible way I remember/know of to eject that disc. i would heartily recommend have a true Apple Tech take a look at it. Take it to the Apple Store and let them handle it...don't void your warranty.

;)

C

Reaction score
Took it to the apple store today and they removed the cd for me. The tech said he'd seen it before but never in a MacBook before. I was his first. :p

But the funny part comes when i got home. I got another CD stuck in there. This time I took matters into my own hands and used my library card to spot the CD from spinning up. After 2 failed attempts (with no noises of distress from the motor) the drive spit the CD right out.

When you're certified use it this trick as you will. :D

Ric

Reaction score
Cory Cooper said:
Hey Ric,

I have the Apple Technician Training kit (older version). There are some great additional, private resources available, but you have covered every possible way I remember/know of to eject that disc. i would heartily recommend have a true Apple Tech take a look at it. Take it to the Apple Store and let them handle it...don't void your warranty.

;)

C

Hi Cory,

mine came today...probably the same as yours...all the CD's are 2003 !

Just working my way through the Apple 'extras' now...

;-)

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
lt_canuck said:
Took it to the apple store today and they removed the cd for me...

...maybe they should go back to the old fashioned method and stick a hole back in there...

Paperclip

;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I hope you got this issue cleared up by now, but for future reference, the command at startup for MacBook Pros to eject a CD is to hold the trackpad button as it starts up. If the machine is still looking for the CD to start up from, shut it down, and start up again while holding the option key. This should allow you to choose what disk to restart from. If a lock appears, the computer has a firmware password set, and is asking you to enter it. Once you have started up to your own normal desktop, go into System Preferences and select your hard drive as your startup disk for it to stick.

Ask a Question