Macbook Keyboard/Trackpad Not Working

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro where the trackpad and keyboard do not work. Sometimes (probably once every 4 or 5 times I open my laptop) either or both do not work, and typically, shutting down my computer will resolve the issue completely upon restart. Today, the same issue happened, but the reboot did not immediately fix the problem--it was only after shutting it down and leaving it shut down for a few minutes that the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue last summer in which the trackpad and keyboard did not work, but that time, shutting down the computer did not resolve the issue. I ended up replacing the trackpad/flex cable myself, and the computer has worked fine until now. Because the keyboard/trackpad work perfectly fine most of the time, I would hypothesize that it is a software, not hardware, issue, but I may be wrong.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how I can resolve it? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro where the trackpad and keyboard do not work. Sometimes (probably once every 4 or 5 times I open my laptop) either or both do not work, and typically, shutting down my computer will resolve the issue completely upon restart. Today, the same issue happened, but the reboot did not immediately fix the problem--it was only after shutting it down and leaving it shut down for a few minutes that the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue last summer in which the trackpad and keyboard did not work, but that time, shutting down the computer did not resolve the issue. I ended up replacing the trackpad/flex cable myself, and the computer has worked fine until now. Because the keyboard/trackpad work perfectly fine most of the time, I would hypothesize that it is a software, not hardware, issue, but I may be wrong.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how I can resolve it? Thanks!
Sounds like a firmware or ROM issue. The first thing I would try is to reset the SMC. For MacBooks I believe the sequence is, with the Mac off, press the Control-Option-Shift keys on the left side of the keyboard and at the same time press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds. Then proceed with a regular startup.

If you want to do a shotgun approach, you can also reset your parameter RAM (PRAM) by starting up and immediately holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys and wait for a second startup chime before letting go of the keys. You can immediately follow this with a Safe Boot by holding down the Shift key before the Apple and progress bar appear on the screen. If you were too late, you can reboot and try again.

Keep in mind that if you have external SATA SSDs connected to your Mac, TRIM will be disabled by the PRAM reset and you will need to reenable it.

Ask a Question