MacBook freezes

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this!

I'm using the MacBook OS X 10.4.9 and I'm unable to shut down or restart my Macbook! I've tried to force quit the applications but the system isn't responding. Pressing the shut down button manually doesn't have any response either. =\

Please help, thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi starville and welcome,

What do you think could have caused this ... do you have any further info about what you were doing when this started, or any apps you recently installed ??

How many apps are running and what are they?

Have you tried to quit the running apps using Activity Monitor:

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor

Highlight the app and you can force quit it by clicking on the red Quit Process icon.

Have you pressed and held the power button for about 4-5 seconds to Force Shutdown?

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm guessing that it's because I tried to run GarageBand which is still stuck at the initializing stage.

There aren't many apps running, only Firefox and transferring of files from my PC to my MacBook. Which appears to have paused because the size of the files transferred hasn't increased for the past hour. And the time on desktop has also stopped.

The system doesn't respond when I double-click on Macintosh HD!

I've tried to Force Shutdown too but it doesn't work! Sigh.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Ok, so it's just Firefox and some Network Activity of file transferrence ... You should unmount the network share, breaking the file transfer (BTW, how big a file is it?) and use Activity Monitor to Force Quit Firefox and GarageBand if it's stuck. Do you have iLife '08?

When you've done the above go to the Apple menu and choose Restart.

Reaction score
It's 12.25GB. Lol.

I've shut down the PC but the Copy window is still here on the Macbook although it isn't copying anything.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
A fair guess is the file transfer is the cause .... it certainly is on the large side of things .. I'm not saying you couldn't copy it from your PC to your Mac but it would slow things down a bit ... GarageBand is a large app with a lot of files to load and the two probably cause a meltdown of sorts ...

How are you going with shutting down the MacBook as per my last post??

Reaction score
Ah I've managed to force quit Firefox and Garageband! The Copy window was still on the desktop and I couldn't shut down the Macbook the normal way but somehow I was able to Force Shutdown it this time!

I guess I shan't transfer so many files at once next time. Lol.

Thanks so much for your help!

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm using a Macbook with Mac Os 10.5.5 and sometimes when I'm using my laptop, at random times my computer will lock up. I cannot open any applications, and when I have iTunes running, the shortcut buttons will not work, and I cannot adjust the brightness of the screen. If I put my cursor in the upper right hand corner of the screen (by the spaces, and spotlight icons) the rainbow, loading symbol appears where my cursor should be. The only thing I can do is a hard reboot. Can anyone help me?

Ask a Question