Macbook Flicering Screen

Reaction score
My Macbook A1708 starts to flicker, from top to bottom, then it goes black, it happens after about 30 seconds, at start the screen looks ok. it works ok on an external monitor. The screen was changed 1 months ago due to a flexgate problem, the screen is not original, and the seller does not think it is a problem with the screen. Has anyone here tried something similar.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Which model A1708:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) - MacBookPro13,1
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) - MacBookPro14,1

Since it doesn't happen on an external display, it does sound like an LCD panel/LVDS cable issue.
  • Is the replacement display an Apple OEM part?
  • Who did the repair - the seller, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, etc.?
  • Is there any warranty with the repair?
C

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, it's a 2017, Macbook 14.1. it is not an OEM Apple screen, although with warranty, and it was changed by a trained IT technician at no charge. so no warranty on the repair. I also think that it must be the screen, also because the problem started with the screen turning black after several hours of use, then a shorter and shorter time, and now after 30 seconds, if it was the logic board or the graphics card, I think it should not work on the external monitor.
Excuse my English, I come from Denmark :)

Reaction score
The LVDS cable, is that part of the LCD panel assembly, or is it a separate part.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Correct, if an external display works, it shouldn't be the logic board/graphics chip.

When Apple does LCD repairs, it's a complete unit - LCD panel, clamshell case, and all cabling. Not sue if the cabling is available separately. Honestly, if it is a non-OEM Apple part, that is probably an indicator of what could be causing the issue. Since the time is getting shorter, it could also be that the inverter board is starting to go, which would cause the screen to go black. You can check for that by shining a flashlight across the screen when it goes dark. If you still see an image, then that would signify the inverter, as it controls the backlight.

C

Ask a Question