Macbook Air Hard Drive rescue

Reaction score
I have a defunct MacBook Air model A1304 ( 2011 ). The hard drive from this machine is functional and contains photos from a cross country trip in 2013.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a method to recover these valuable pics other than the expense of buying another same model machine to plug my old hard drive into ?

I’ve seen some advertising of late for miscellaneous products that will attach to variety of hard drives and recover data. Might there be one of these that would work for me does anyone know ?

Thanks in advance …. Peter

Reaction score
I have a defunct MacBook Air model A1304 ( 2011 ). The hard drive from this machine is functional and contains photos from a cross country trip in 2013.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a method to recover these valuable pics other than the expense of buying another same model machine to plug my old hard drive into ?

I’ve seen some advertising of late for miscellaneous products that will attach to variety of hard drives and recover data. Might there be one of these that would work for me does anyone know ?

Thanks in advance …. Peter
You need to double-check the specs of the MB Air. The model A1304 is actually a mid-2009 Air. The Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" is model A1370. Which one is it? And it’s not clear—can you start up the Mac and perform basic operations? If not, try starting it in Target Disk Mode. Start it up and immediately hold down tho T key. Wait until the screen comes on with the target disk mode icon floating on the display. If you are able to get to this point, connect the Air to another working Mac with a USB-to-USB cable, and the Air should show up as a connected external drive. From there you should be able to copy the files that you need from the MacBook Air.

Ask a Question