Macbook crashed, can't login, possibly hacked.

Reaction score
Hi,

I was working on my laptop with some programs on and suddenly my macbook air, which I have bought in 2012, crashed.
I thought it was no problem, but when I logged into again the used language on the destkop wasn't English and I saw some erorrs like: -]]] \ ]].
I couldn't use any function so i restarted it again. However when i wanted to login (so i've entered my password) the gray screen turn up, when you want to login. But before my 2nd login shows up (the lock login) my macbook already shuts down.
I think I have been hacked and when I try a factory reset I dont see an Recovery HD only the Macintosh.
Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

For further questions please comment,

bmosterd.

Reaction score
Hi,

Really doubt you have been hacked, try resting the MBA as follows then post back results. Hope you have been backing up. Also make sure your connected to WiFi network.

1. Hold Command, Option (Alt) and R keys while your MacBook is starting to start in Internet Recovery, and open Disk Utility.

2. Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the drive.

3. Close Disk Utility and install OS X. When the installation finishes, turn off your Mac.

Reaction score
Hi,

I got into the internet recovery and I am connected to WiFi. but I don't see the Disk Utility. All I see is the earth and my WiFi conection.
Is this suppose to be so or what am I doing wrong?

And I got an error after a while: apple.com/support
-2002F

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry try holding down CMD+R while the computer is booting. Not sure why I said the option key as well:confused:

EDIT:
If you still can not see the recovery partition after the above try this. Just hold down option at startup it should say something like network install then you should get a popup to join a WiFi network.
When you do this, it downloads the contents of the recovery partition to a RAM disk, letting you then use Disk Utility and start the OS X installation process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Everything worked fine until the re-install of OS X. A few errors popped up, but when I clicked try again it continued installing. But when the PC restarted due to a problem, I got this screen gray screen that says the mac restarted due to a problem please press a key etc.. Then when it continues another gray screen pops up with some black 'computer code' language in the left corner. And then it automatically goes back to the 'problem' screen and so on.
So what now?

Reaction score
Hi,

Everything worked fine until the re-install of OS X. A few errors popped up,
What were thee errors?
I got this screen gray screen that says the mac restarted due to a problem please press a key etc..
It sounds like there could be a hardware issue, so personally I would book a Genius Bar appointment ASAP.

Reaction score
Hi,

''Can't download the additional components'' error.

Yeah I think it's the best solution to go to a Genuis.
Thanks though for your help,really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Hi,

''Can't download the additional components'' error.

Did not know there were any:confused: first I have heard of it. o_OThink this may well be a download issue, possibly try again but still feel the GB is a good route, re corrupted RAM just a feeling.

Reaction score
I downloaded OS X again now succesfully without any error. But when it rebooted I got this gray screen again with a questionmark in a map (or something) in the center of my screen. So I rebooted it and again the questionmark.
Any idea what's happening?

Reaction score
Hi,

The flashing question mark means that the MBA can't find the system software it needs to start up. defiantly a GB appointment, as you have tried various solutions to try and fix. So could still point to a hardware issue.

Ask a Question