Mac start up status bar?

Reaction score
I downloaded the update and now my iMac won't start up. It comes to the apple screen with a status bar underneath it, the status bar shows complete, but then nothing happens. I have tried to start in "Safety Mode" and I tried to reset the NVRAM to no avail. Please help!!!!

Reaction score
Need some more detailed information:

1. What Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. Are you making backups to an external device?

Reaction score
It is a 22 or 24" from 2010, the OS updated so I have no clue which it is, I just update it. Ive done neither of the last two.

Reaction score
To find out the exact Mac OS you have, click on the black Apple Icon in the upper left hand corner while you are in the Finder, and select "About This Mac". The next screen will show the Mac OS you are using.

As for the other two items, it's not good that you have not done them, especially backups. That is critical.

Additionally, just upgrading "in place", and especially without doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, could be problematic.

Reaction score
I can't past this screen. So I can't look at which one it is.

Attachments

• Photo on 7-25-17 at 7.41 PM.jpg
    Photo on 7-25-17 at 7.41 PM.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
Hmm., that's not good. What device are you using to make your posts here? If it's another Mac, there si a possibility that you can try some DIY disk repairs. If not, then there is a risky way of trying that, given that you have no backups.

Reaction score
Im ok with doing a complete reset it, I have the stuff off of it that I need.

OK, here is what you can do (assuming at least OS 10.7.x, Lion, is the OS, or any later OS). You can try and boot the iMac to the (hidden) Recover HD partition. This link describes how to do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

When you hold down the Command and R keys, and get the screen shown in the link, you would select the 4th option, Disk Utility. You can then analyze the internal drive on the iMac. You would want to perform First Aid at both the Volume (ie, top) and Partition (ie, second level) levels.

Assuming no issues, you could then try and boot the iMac. If that does not work, you could boot to the Recovery HD Partition again, select the second option. However, it would actually be best if the drive is Erased and Re-Formatted. I'm not sure if that is performed as part of that process. Of course, that will get rid of everything on the drive.

The other option would be to "properly" connect the iMac to the MacBook, and boot the iMac in Target Disk Mode. But first, you need to state what the exact MacBook model you have.

Reaction score
That is not enough information. Here is how you can find it:

1. Click on the black Apple icon in the upper left hand corner.

2. Select "About This Mac".

3. On the next screen, it will show the exact Mac OS you are running on it. Write that down, as you'll need to let us know what that is.

4. On that same screen, it also contains just about all the information as to the model it is. For example, I am posting this via my 2013 13" MacBook Air. On that screen, it says "MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013), Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5". However, one more piece of information is needed.

On that same screen, click on "System Report".

5. On the next screen, entitled "Hardware Overview:", the second entry says "Model Identifier:". For my machine, it says "MacBookAir6,2". We would need that also.

So, after you do all that, you can tell us 1) the exact Mac OS you are running on your MacBook, and 2) the exact model you have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I assume this is your iMac:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...e-i3-3.2-21-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

If that's correct, it has a Firewire 800 port. Your MacBook Air (same machine as mine) has a Thunderbolt port. You need to first purchase 2 items:

1. A Firewire 800 cable.

2. A Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter. You can get it from an Apple store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MD464LL/A

I actually have one, and previously used it (with success) with a couple of external drives I had with Firewire 800 ports.

Once you obtain those, with both machines turned off, connect the Firewire 800 cable to the iMac's Firewire 800 port, and the other end to the adapter. Then, connect the other end of the adapter to the Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Air. What you are getting ready to do is to boot your iMac in "Target Disk Mode":

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/

Start up the Mac Book Air. After it gets to the desktop, hold down the T key on the iMac's keyboard while starting it up. What (hopefully, assuming the iMac's drive is still "alive") will eventually happen is that the iMac's drive will appear on the MacBook Air's desktop. You can then use Disk Utility (or any other disk maintenance/repair tools you have) to analyze/repair the iMac's drive.

Ask a Question