Mac Security software

Reaction score
I just set up my new Mac home pc. What security software should I purchase? Recommendations?
The running software Catalina, version 10.6. Should I turn on Firewall?
Thanks

Reaction score
I would advise switching the firewall on.
I use MalwareBytes to scan for malware, and I also use Avira antivirus occasionally, I am pretty careful about what I download and where I download it from and have not had any problems as yet.
Clamxav also gets good reports.

Reaction score
Cheers to what Lufbrarunner says above! Excellent advice. And I own and use ClamXAV from time to time. Also, every so often I'll download and run Malwarebytes. It does a decent job.

Besides those precautions he states, and the software, the other thing to do is as much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs as possible. You can actually do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that help you with all 3 of those tasks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just set up my new Mac home pc. What security software should I purchase? Recommendations?
The running software Catalina, version 10.6. Should I turn on Firewall?
Thanks
I would recommend Kaspersky total security. It has been installed on my iPads and iMac since I bought them. It is quite efficient and keeps up with the Apple updates...

Reaction score
I would advise switching the firewall on.
I use MalwareBytes to scan for malware, and I also use Avira antivirus occasionally, I am pretty careful about what I download and where I download it from and have not had any problems as yet.
Clamxav also gets good reports.
Turning on the firewall is great right after doing a clean OS install and before putting all the data back on. Otherwise, it takes days and days (depending on how much data you're dealing with) for the encryption to complete. And I do know that the computer slows down considerably when it's encrypting its data. If the drive already has all your data on it, I'd advise going to System Preferences and temporarily never letting the computer sleep (and turning off the option of letting the hard drive sleep when possible). I know that macOS's UNIX roots handles memory a lot differently than all other previous Mac operating systems and Windoz, but I also close every application that's open, hoping that it lets the encryption thing go a little faster. I don't know if it helps speed things along or not, it's just what I do. Maybe it's a gross superstition of my own. I'd appreciate somebody telling me if I'm out of my tree on this one or not, because I'd like to know.

Ask a Question