mac running slow though low processor usage

Reaction score
By the way, I may also inform you that my mac's startup process has interestingly not been slowed.

You must have missed marked word in the above.

Also, forgot to mention that most of my applications are not responding for quite some time during their startup. If this is the reason or the effect of them using so little percentage of CPU, I don't know.

Reaction score
Hi,

I misread it:rolleyes:, can you check a log out, it is called
Turbo Ratios and you should find it here. (system.log in Mountain Lion, then search for
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and look for "Turbo Ratios").
What is it set to if you are only using one core?

Reaction score
No worries, anyone can misread. :)

What is it set to if you are only using one core?
Sorry, I don't think I understand. Do I need to adjust some settings so that I'm using only one core or what?

I found turbo ratios in the log at least,
Turbo ratios is set to: 0046
Following two lines about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement say "initialization complete" and "ready".

Curiosity made me compare my mac's turbo ratios to my brother's mac. He seems to have the same value.

Reaction score
Hi,

Turbo ratios is set to: 0046

That seems fine:),the first two numbers are 0s because the CPU doesn't have more than two cores, and the third number tells us the maximum turbo boost with two cores active: 3. That's 3 bins, where each bin is 100MHz, or 300MHz above the stock 1.8GHz operating frequency.

So am still baffled by the slow issue.

Reaction score
Truthfully I am stumped, you have cleaned out your startup entries, and as you say boot time is uneffected the only thing that comes to mind is RAM, but you have 4GB which is more than adequate so this app slow down just does not make sense.
Really sorry I could not be more definitive but you have done most things that I would have thought relevant.

Ask a Question