Mac Pro audio breakup

Reaction score
Mac Pro (Late 2013), Mojave 10.14.3

Audio output breaks up and sometimes disappears for several seconds. It sounds a bit like what you would hear if an electrical connection in an amplifier were dirty. Everything else is normal.

The problem appeared suddenly earlier this week. I can't recall upgrading or changing anything on my system around that time.

I tried the obvious:
  1. check all cord and cables;
  2. reboot;
  3. use an 'internal' source (Safari);
  4. use different external sources ("USB to host" on Yamaha keyboard; MIDI out from Yamaha keyboard to Steinberg USB audio interface and then to Mac);
  5. use different outputs (USB to Steinberg USB audio interface for headphones/amplifier; Mac headphone output);
  6. check Activity Monitor for crashed processes;
  7. check all audio related processes in Activity Monitor to see if any report "Recent hangs";
  8. watch CPU usage in Activity Monitor to see if anything odd happens when the audio breaks up.
What can I try next?? If this were a PC, I would reseat the audio card or try replacing it.

Is there any kind of audio card or processor test that might show a problem?

Myron

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Pro (I have a MacBook Pro, too). I forgot about those resets. I give it a try when I get back from taking the dogs for their outing, and let you know.

Ask a Question