Mac osX desktop 10.6.3 only works in safe mode

Reaction score
I have a rather old desk top Mac bought of a friend.. it's at least 10 years old, that I am haven't used for 2 years, for various reasons.
I would like to use it for again though if possible. It's got a great big monitor!

When I on switched it on after my last move ( I moved a few times with it) it only showed the apple, then after a grey, then blue
screen, briefly my wallpaper image flashes and the screen turns black
It works fine in safe mode though.
I've tried removing the apps that start on start up. But it didn't help.
I haven't used internet with it.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and if there is something I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi,

Snow Leopard is a very robust OSx.

Just to add as you know booting in safe mode has the following effects, as it is only the operating system that starts. Other installed programs / software will be deactivated. So as it starts fine in safe mode, I feel possibly something you have install in addition to the operating system is either incompatible or broken. So firstly I would deactivate all startup items and reboot. If it boots normally then you can run a test by reloading each startup item individually.

Let us know how things go.

Reaction score
Hi,

Hi, Thanks for replying, what do mean with specs?
1) What Mac model and which year of manufacture
2) Size of Hard drive
3) Size of Memory

Have you still got the 2 Snow Leopard setup disc's?

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

Apologies, I meant to reply earlier, but life was too busy.

Model Name: iMac 6,1
I have no idea of year of manufacture. It was a gift from a friend. Around early 2000 to 2010 is my guess.
On about this Mac it says:
Mac OsX
Version 10.6.3
Processor 2.33GHz Intel core 2Duo
Memory 3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRam

I might still have the Snow Leopard start up CDs. But I'd need to have a look around.b I've just moved and there a still quite a few boxes to work through. :(
Hi,

1) What Mac model and which year of manufacture
2) Size of Hard drive
3) Size of Memory

Have you still got the 2 Snow Leopard setup disc's?

I mostly want to have access to some of the files on there. Would I be able to copy them to an external harddrive in the safe mode? I'm a bit scared to try.

It would be great to be able to use this machine again too.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reaction score
Safe Mode not only disables startup items, it also disables extensions. One quick way of testing if the cause is an errant process that’s connected to you as a user, try creating a new user with admin privileges, and reboot/login as that new user. If the Mac runs in normal mode, then the problem is from one or more of the old user’s extensions.

BTW, your iMac6,1 came out in Sept. 2006, discontinued Aug. 2007. It came installed with Mac OS X 10.4.7, and supports up to 10.7.5.

Ask a Question