Mac osx 10.6 file management

Reaction score
I am trying to organize my huge amount of files on my Mac. How can I find all videos on my hard drive, and move them to a "Videos" folder that i create? Every time I try to drag video files into a folder, it copies them, which creates more problems and more wasted file space.
thanks

Reaction score
Hi... you sort of have a double tipped question here... so I'll try my hand at one at a time...

1.) When moving files from one directory to another, IF BOTH FOLDERS ARE ON THE SAME HARD DRIVE, it will move (not copy). But if the Host folder is on one drive and the Recipient folder is on a different drive, it will copy and leave the original in the Host folder.

What you can do is using two Finder windows drag the file(s) into the other folder and before released the mouse, hold down the Control Key as you release the mouse and they will move... not copy.

2.) The way I find all video or other "same" files is to do a search in Finder i.e.... if the videos you are looking for are .mkv files then do a search in Finder for .mkv files... I usually try to make sure I am in root of the drive I am searching just because it makes me feel like I am getting a complete search, although I don't think that matters.

There is also third party software that will do this and I have tried them but never use them.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
See the Search Box in Finder, type anything in there even a space.
Now you should see a little plus at the right end click that.
Now you can see the Kind equals choose Movies
Now delete the text you typed in the Search box
Ensure "This Mac" is selected and you will see a list of all the Movies.

Open another Window to the Movies and drag and drop.

Ask a Question