Mac Os X System Update

Reaction score
Hello!
im using an old system ' os x 10.8.5
i want to upgrade and according to what im reading the sierra is not the best choice for me i have this computer for about 5 years now. i tried to get EL CAPITAN but from the app store its no longer available.

any advice? should i look for another way to get el capitan? go ahead with sierra?
thanks!

Reaction score
OK, we need to know some more things:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs out there (both free and not free) that can help you.

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That is critical.

4. What third party products do you have? When you "move" to the new OS, there is the possibility that some/all of that software will need to be upgraded also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey! thanks for answering!

i have a mac book pro from mid 2012.
2.5 Ghz inter core i5 processor
4GB 1600MHz DDR3

i did osme cleanings but its been a while since i did one, and apart form the computer being considerably slower, some programs are not working anymore beause the system is old.

i did a back up on the time machine app and its on an external hard drive.

im using a sound card and a midi controler both berhinger

anything else u need to know?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, and Sierra performs fine with it. Your Mac Book Pro is "stronger" than mine, so can't see why it would be an issue.

If you want to upgrade to a more recent Mac OS, there are a number of steps you need to go through, and it will take some time and effort. Also, while you state "im using a sound card and a midi controler both berhinger", that is not software (although there is possibly, I suspect, software that goes along with those products). Again I ask, do you have any third party software/programs on your machine? Some examples are:

Office 2011 or Office 2016
Onyx
1Password
VLC
Tech Tool Pro
SuperDuper!

Also, when you say "i did osme cleanings but its been a while since i did on", did you use any softeare/programs for that effort? There are some excellent free and not free products out there that can help you.

So, going forward, if you want to proceed with a newer Mac OS, you'll first need to answer those questions, and then we/I can provide you with a step-by-step process for this. Again, though, it will take time and effort.

Reaction score
as to the third party programs i have VLC . apart from that i use two programs, Reason and Abelton.
Abelton i use very little.....

i did use one time a softwere that helps you clean out apps you dont use.

Ask a Question