OS X Yosemite - Can I copy OS system files to another Mac?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Macbook Air 2015 edition, with Yosemite preinstalled. Now that Apple uses internet-based system restore from the restore drive (with no visible system install files on the restore drive) is there any way I can copy the OS X system, or create a boot USB, to my iMac running Snow Leopard?

Note that the OS X Yosemite Install App is no longer available from the App Store, a file that seems to be required for most procedures used to create bootable drives.

Reaction score
Was the file "Install OS X Yosemite" on the machine? Typically, it would be in the Applications folder. If that file is still around, you cab copy it to a flash drive/USB stick, plug the "stick" into a USB port on the iMac, and take that file off the stick. You can then install OS 10.0.x on the iMac.

Reaction score
Was the file "Install OS X Yosemite" on the machine? Typically, it would be in the Applications folder. If that file is still around, you cab copy it to a flash drive/USB stick, plug the "stick" into a USB port on the iMac, and take that file off the stick. You can then install OS 10.0.x on the iMac.

thanks for replying. Unfortunately Apple no longer includes the installer file on the computer, forcing users to use an internet-based system restore, where necessary OS X files are downloaded and re-installed back on the unit in case of a hard-drive crash or re-formatting. By contrast, HP and most windows-based computers have the install files on the computer itself, (though it can only be used on that specific hard-drive to prevent illegal copying of Windows).

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Let's get this clear ...

Your MB Air runs Yosemite & you have no issues regarding the MB Air?

You've never purchased Yosemite from the App Store so that option is out ...

You want to create a Bootable drive so you can install Yosemite onto the iMac running Snow Leopard?

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create your MB AIr's Yosemite install onto your iMac but you would need to erase & format the iMac first ... which would mean you would lose the contents of the iMac in the process. Other than that you may be out of luck.

As for the installer, when you upgrade & download the installer from the App Store, there is a window of time to make a backup of that installer as once you click it to go ahead with the installation, the installer is deleted upon completion ... that's the file honestone was talking about.

Reaction score
Let's get this clear ...

Your MB Air runs Yosemite & you have no issues regarding the MB Air?

You've never purchased Yosemite from the App Store so that option is out ...

You want to create a Bootable drive so you can install Yosemite onto the iMac running Snow Leopard?

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create your MB AIr's Yosemite install onto your iMac but you would need to erase & format the iMac first ... which would mean you would lose the contents of the iMac in the process. Other than that you may be out of luck.

As for the installer, when you upgrade & download the installer from the App Store, there is a window of time to make a backup of that installer as once you click it to go ahead with the installation, the installer is deleted upon completion ... that's the file honestone was talking about.

OS X was factory installed on the Air, so I never downloaded the install file myself and is no longer publicly available for download from the App Store. Will the software you mentioned create the install files on its own from the OS X system? All other methods require the original installer to create a boot disk.

Reaction score
Let's get this clear ...

Exactly. Also, since it goes away after launching it from the Applications folder, that is why it is a good idea to make a copy of it somewhere else.

Reaction score
OS X was factory installed on the Air, so I never downloaded the install file myself and is no longer publicly available for download from the App Store. Will the software you mentioned create the install files on its own from the OS X system? All other methods require the original installer to create a boot disk.

What version of Yosemite do you have? If it is anything less than V10.10.5, then as Spawn_Dooley suggested, you could go to the App Store and download OS 10.10.5 (the last version of Yosemite). That download will be a complete installation file. If you do download it, it will wind up in your Applications folder. Prior to applying it to your MacBook Air, make a copy of it somewhere else.

You could then copy that "Install OS X Yosemite" file onto a Flash Drive/USB stick, plug the stick into a port on your iMac, and copy it from the stick to somewhere on your iMac. If you do that, and want to upgrade the iMac from Snow Leopard to Yosemite, you need to make sure that any third party applications you have on your iMac are upgraded to work with Yosemite.

Unfortunately, if you have version 10.10.5 of the OS already, then you are out of luck (short of what Spawn_Dooley stated above about the installation on your iMac).

Reaction score
MacBookAir User,

You can use Migration Assistant in order to transfer all your important files and folder. Transferred data includes applications, documents, network settings, accounts etc.

Here is a simple but effective guide which helps you more.

Ask a Question