mac os x quits unexpectedly

Reaction score
another crash... (man, im getting used to this things) is there a way to make sure its the memory without actually taking it out?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been having this problem for a few months! First I had the problem upon installing the new OS, and OSX would go to sleep then not wake-up, I've taken it off the energy-saver, and have also updated the OS from the net, but every now and again the OS will still "unexpectedly restart" - which means I have to do one of the those horrible shut-downs by holding down the power button. Like one of the previous entries it does nothing when I choose the option of "send report". I did get another 1gb of ram recently, so I have 1.5 altogether, I had it installed at the mac store - so they said it was verified as being compatible with the machine (g4 powermac). I have also done disk repairs, but nothing is wrong there...

Looking in my CrashReporter, which would be the log that would tell me what's going on? The only relevant one seems to be:

AuthenticationService.crash.log

Thanks for any help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the best two logs to look at first are the system log and the console log. By all means send them via email and I will take a look.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey there Ric,

any word on what might be the cause? It just did that scary grey page with angry writting that wants you to force shut down your computer - then upon booting up the nasty " your OS unexpectedly restarted"...

thanks!

Reaction score
Hello there,

I just bought my new macbook (2.16 ghz, 1gb ram, black, OS X) yesterday, and it crashed 4 times on me since. The first time it crashed 10 minutes after opening it out of the box, the second time after using adobe photoshop cs2, and the third and fourth times while trying to install my HP printer on the mac. Throughout the crashes, there weren't any programs running in the background other than those that I was directly using.
It is ironic however, because Apple sells its computers on the big statement that mac computers don't crash; however, after just taking this computer out of the box, it crashes. I have had a PC for 4 years now, and it hasn't crashed a single time (I build the system myself). I am a student that works on many assignments, it would be awful to have it "just crash" on a huge project I'm working on.

With this bad experience in mind (especially after just buying a new mac), I think macs suck...no offence to those that don't have any difficulties with them. They are by far much less reliable than PCs.

Furthermore, no one has come up with a solution to this problem.

- Just my two pennies....

Reaction score
When my 15" PowerBook was crashing I found that it was just a bad stick of memory. Replaced it myself and everything has been working fine since. I’m not sure what your memory is like but you could try pulling the sticks one at a time and seeing if it helps any.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

certainly sounds like a bad Memory stick !

jsmangat, this is not normal Mac behaviour !

Did you get it sorted.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Seems like there is a bug in OSX 10.4.7 ?? as that is when mine went slow and kept giving the spinning globe of death, I have done all that was advised on here and also a mate downloaded the OSX 10.4.10 COMBO update, this seems to have cured it up to now , worth a try if you have not done it.
Regards
Andy B

Reaction score
jsmangat, this is not normal Mac behaviour !

I beg to differ Ric. This is all too normal for Macs. They have their pompous commercials putting down PCs however I have had a Toshiba laptop for 6 years running XP and I haven't had a single problem. Yet, here I am on Mac number 3 because Apple has had to send me new computers because their computers have so many problems, especially with hardware. If I were the only case, I would chock it to bad luck. However, as you can see from this forum and my own experience with friends who have had hard drives crash on their Macs my conclusion is-- MACS SUCK. Plain and simple.

That being said, I now have a Macbook, not a year old. I am getting the same issue as everyone on this forum. I randomly and frequently get a grey screen forcing me to restart (thank God Microsoft not Apple makes Word or I'd have lost everything). I restart, it tells me Mac OS X quit unexpectedly and won't let me look at the report.
Also, Safari constantly quits unexpectedly. I just took some steps today by deleting a quicktime file and reseting safari, we'll see if that does anything.

Ric, help! What is the solution to this problem? Do you have any troubleshooting tips? What can I do to prevent this issue?
If this computer crashes like the others, I'm going to ask for my money back and get an IBM.

Reaction score
Hi, I also recently bought a Macbook and it also has this problem when i run it on battery. Happens 3 times in an hour and it is really frustrating.

So far it seems like there is no solution nor reason for this happening. I am going to call Apple and complain.

Well, it seems my impression of apple is really Sh*t. Too unreliable!!

Apple!! Wake up ur idea and resolve this issue! You can bet I am gonna tell all my frds and family members to stir clear of this piece of **** till they resolve the issue!!!:mad:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi everyone and welcome !

I don't really see the point in bashing one platform or the other..I have Mac's PC's, UNIX boxes etc...they all serve a purpose.

When anything is mass produced there are always some manufacturing problems...

Personally I don't like the Mac vs PC adverts...things like that normally come back to bite you !

If you are having further problems please feel free to post and we'll see what we can do.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
After a recent update on 2007-06-29 02:59:57 -0700: Installed "SuperDrive Firmware Update" (2.1)
2007-06-29 02:59:59 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2007-006 (Universal)" (1.0)
2007-06-29 03:02:58 -0700: Installed "Mac OS X Update (Intel)" (10.4.10). My Mac OS X unexpectedly quits plus Safari takes a real long time to open a web page or just says "cannot find server"
Can anyone help??

Reaction score
Hi everyone and welcome !

I don't really see the point in bashing one platform or the other..I have Mac's PC's, UNIX boxes etc...they all serve a purpose.

When anything is mass produced there are always some manufacturing problems...

Personally I don't like the Mac vs PC adverts...things like that normally come back to bite you !

If you are having further problems please feel free to post and we'll see what we can do.

Regards

Ric

Well I took some of the advice I've found on this forum and replaced my 512mb memory with 2 GB in my Macbook. Yes, I have seen superior performance and this has fixed many issues overall. I have completely abandoned Safari for Firefox and this has helped as well, since Safari is an inferior browser overall IMHO.
Yet, the other day while browsing the internet my Mac went grey and told me to restart once again!
What is the problem with this machine?

Reaction score
Hmmm, so looks like there is still no solution to this dreaded problem where OSX happily quits by itself?

With so many ppl experiencing this Kernel problem, why doesnt Mac just admit there is a problem?

Tomorrow I will call Apple care and ask them for the solution. Keep this forum updated. It is not hardware issue as I ran a hardware test already. :mad:

Reaction score
Help! I just had this happen to me....... first time ever on a computer that is nearly 2 years old. I was running PS....... I am runnin mac os x 10.4.8 4ghx PowerPC G5, 1.5 gig ram installed at the mac shop...

nothing has been done to it since purchase

scary message.. do I need to do some sort of fix to stop it happening.. or now i have had it once is it going to keep happening :-(

Reaction score
oh and before I pushed restart while I was still staring at the message ... my computer started to roar with a noise I have never heard like it was going to blow up...

Reaction score
Hello, im JR . i put in the disc of Mac OS X, install disc and clicked on applications..
then i opened the next folder..
then i clicked reset password!
it said that it quit unexpectedly... i NEED to desperately change my administrator password because i can't do anything can't install anything at all!

i need help im so desperate! plzplpzlpzlpzlz help!

Reaction score
Hello, im JR . i put in the disc of Mac OS X, install disc and clicked on applications..
then i opened the next folder..
then i clicked reset password!
it said that it quit unexpectedly... i NEED to desperately change my administrator password because i can't do anything can't install anything at all!

i need help im so desperate! plzplpzlpzlpzlz help!

Hello Justine, Did you follow these steps (see link)?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh655.html

Reaction score
yeah i did already ):

it worked until i clicked save & then it said that it wouldn't save & i still wouldn't be able to do jack anything on my mac .. I LOST MY RECEIPT SO I SERZ NEED TO GET THE PROB FIXED!

Ask a Question