MAC OS 10.6.8 Is it worth it?!

Reaction score
I got one of these lovely machines for free. All I want it for is browsing and Netflix. It did both really well the first time I used it. Then day two - Netflix would no longer play.
I am wondering is it worth buying the extra RAM in order to download El Capitan?
Will Google Chrome update with El Capitan or is it still too old?
It feels so wasteful to have such good machines be made redundant.

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

Serial Number (system): VM744JUEX85

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B639F7DCD

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That seems to be an iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) model. It can support up to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. It should also support the latest Google Chrome: Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit).

-It will officially support up to 4 GB RAM (2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM). Unofficially, it will support 6 GB, but I recommend sticking with 4 GB to allow full memory interleaving.
-Do you already have El Capitan in your Purchased section in the App Store? If not, you will have to rely on other means to get a copy of the installer.

As always, any computer that is 11 years old will have limitations, but it should work for basic functionality like you stated.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply it was very helpful. I do not have El Capitan so will look into that.

Hello and welcome.

That seems to be an iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) model. It can support up to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. It should also support the latest Google Chrome: Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit).

-It will officially support up to 4 GB RAM (2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM). Unofficially, it will support 6 GB, but I recommend sticking with 4 GB to allow full memory interleaving.
-Do you already have El Capitan in your Purchased section in the App Store? If not, you will have to rely on other means to get a copy of the installer.

As always, any computer that is 11 years old will have limitations, but it should work for basic functionality like you stated.

C

Reaction score
You can get El Capitan from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Just go down to step 4, and click where it says "Get El Capitan". You will then be asked if you want to go to the App Store, and once there, you'll see El Captan, along with a place where you can click Download.

After you download it, I strongly suggest you make a copy of that file in another location.

The other thing is that considering you are using OS 10.6.8, and want to "jump" to OS10.11.6, it would be wise to do a clean, fresh installation ot El Capitan, then "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from a backup. You are making backups to an external device, right?

In actuality, you'll need to do some preparatory workk before attempting a clean installation. I''ll ask my usual questions, and based on your answers, we can help you:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That task is so, so critical. If you are doing that, what software do you use for that task?

3. How much space is on your internal drive?

4. You will need to check the site:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

to insure that all your third-party (ie, non-Apple) applications are compatible with El Capitan. I suspect that some (maybe most/all) will require an update (some might no longer work).

Ask a Question