Mac Mini vs. DVD

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this is a silly question.

I was given a Mac Mini for Christmas and while it's easy to use and fine to work with, apparently I have no idea how to play a DVD on here. I put in the disc, and the icon with the movie title shows up on my desktop like any normal computer. When I double click it, it opens up a folder with with a few sub-folders (ie. AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS). I tried opening one of the .VOB files in Quicktime and then also in WMP, and they both say it's either not a movie file, or the format is invalid. It happens with all DVDs. Is there some program I'm supposed to be using and I just don't know it? I've tried Quicktime, DivX, and WMP.

Boo, I'm dumb :p Help!

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this is a silly question.

I was given a Mac Mini for Christmas and while it's easy to use and fine to work with, apparently I have no idea how to play a DVD on here. I put in the disc, and the icon with the movie title shows up on my desktop like any normal computer. When I double click it, it opens up a folder with with a few sub-folders (ie. AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS). I tried opening one of the .VOB files in Quicktime and then also in WMP, and they both say it's either not a movie file, or the format is invalid. It happens with all DVDs. Is there some program I'm supposed to be using and I just don't know it? I've tried Quicktime, DivX, and WMP.

Boo, I'm dumb :p Help!

Hello, after you insert the DVD, go to your Applications Folder and double click the DVD Player icon.
You can also go to System Preferences, click on the CD's &DVD's icon and next to where it says "When you insert a video DVD", Click the little blue box with the triangles then click on "Open DVD Player".

Ask a Question