Mac Locked in Bluetooth search loop

Reaction score
Hello:
My wife has an imac G4.
Today, a very peculiar thing happened. She woke it up from sleep and found this window on the desktop:

"Bluetooth Setup Assistant"
"Bluetooth Mouse Set Up"
"Pairing with your Bluetooth mouse"
"When your mouse is found, it will be paired with your computer, *etc*"

Then at the bottom of the widow it alternates between two messages:
One with black type:
"Searching for mice - 0 found"
and one in red type:
"No mice have been found. Please make sure your mouse is "discoverable".

The problem is, we don't have a wireless mouse, nor anything else bluetooth. The actual wired mouse is frozen. The screen is frozen. The keyboard is frozen. Everything is frozen while this window stays open and loops.

I've tried turning it off and back on. I've tried cutting the power after I power down with the button in the back.

When it reboots, I get the Beatles chord, the grey screen, the OS loading, then as soon as the desktop loads, the bluetooth window appears and everything freezes again.

I'm a PC person and know nothing about Macs. I must say, in it's favor, this is the only problem she's ever had in 3 years.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Michael

Reaction score
Well, folks, it's amazing what one little thing will do to a computer. Seems when my wife hooked up her mac, it needed a USB extention to reach the back of the 'puter. The connector is faulty, so it wasn't sending the signal to the USB. The 'puter thought there was no keyboard or mouse and started looking for the bluetooth. I guess I wiggled the wires enough so it unfroze and the mouse was movable.

While origianlly checking, I made sure the USB was connected but I though the wire going into the 'puter was the keyboard wire, not an extention.

I quit the bluetooth assistant and immediately turned off the bluetooth.

Did a few sleeps and awakenings, just to be sure. It's fine.

So, if you have this problem, check your connections.

Reaction score
Hello Moknbyrd and Welcome!!

Glad to hear it worked out just fine!

Thank you for posting your solution as it may help others!

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I am having the same problem, but My connections "appear" to be good. I will use this as a guide to figure out what my problem is.

Ask a Question