Mac Cleaner !!!!!

Reaction score
I have somehow managed to download "Advanced Mac Cleaner" and it's driving me nuts !!!! (a VERY senior moment, obviously)

I've tried dragging it into my "trash", but more often than not, I can't move the window at all. The window just stops everything on my computer ! My escape key can't get rid of it either, so I then have to go to "force quit".

Please can you tell me how to get rid of it ? I am no computer expert, so hopefully it will be simple ? My sanity will depend on you !!!!!!

Thank you SO very much in advance for your help and advise.

Kind regards,
Londoner

Reaction score
To add to the excellent suggestions made by Cory, you can also use ClamXAv, available form here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

It is somewhat more extensive that Malwarebytes, and you can use it in demo mode.

Also, regarding AppCleaner, it does an effective, 99% job of finding all the files associated with an application. But at times, it does not catch everything. So, after you use AppCleaner, you can also do a search using the App's name. Most folks use Spotlight for such searches (is part of the Mac OS), but I prefer the excellent freeware program EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

By the way, is that the only third party "cleaner" you have on your machine? There are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that are reliable, proven, and safe, and that do an excellent job.

Reaction score
Thank you all SO very much for your help, I am now about to give your suggestion(s) a try. I really do appreciate your kindness.

Kind regards,
Londoner
P.S. Honestone, I have never used a "cleaner", or even thought I had the need .....I don't even know how I managed to get lumbered with this nightmare cleaner.

Reaction score
I also have the same problem and have taken your advice and downloaded malwarebytes and fingers crossed, thank you.

Reaction score
Thank you all SO very much for your help, I am now about to give your suggestion(s) a try. I really do appreciate your kindness.

Kind regards,
Londoner
P.S. Honestone, I have never used a "cleaner", or even thought I had the need .....I don't even know how I managed to get lumbered with this nightmare cleaner.

Regarding a "cleaner", remember, owning and maintaining a Mac is just like owning and maintaining an automobile. Even the most reliable makes, Toyota and Honda (and just like Macs), need to be maintained. For automobiles, there are some "not so complicated nor challenging" things you can do on your own for such tasks (like changing the Cabin Air Filter, Air Filter, checking tire pressure, etc.). Same with Macs.

Reaction score
Regarding a "cleaner", remember, owning and maintaining a Mac is just like owning and maintaining an automobile. Even the most reliable makes, Toyota and Honda (and just like Macs), need to be maintained. For automobiles, there are some "not so complicated nor challenging" things you can do on your own for such tasks (like changing the Cabin Air Filter, Air Filter, checking tire pressure, etc.). Same with Macs.

I second this one. A weekly cleanup or monthly cleanup will make your Mac in top-notch shape.

Ask a Question