Mac Book Pro Security

Reaction score
I purchased MacPaw for my Mac Book Pro - an older one 2012 or so - Is this enough protection ? Thanks

Reaction score
Not sure that is enough information. MacPaw sells several products. I don't know if any of the apps they sell qualify as "protection" other than the VPN and I have never heard of theirs. Not to say it is bad, just that I have never heard of it. In any case, a VPN is not a bad thing but is really only necessary if you are on public WiFi. Not to say you can't be on a VPN at home but unless you are paranoid about privacy, it isn't really necessary, plus the mere act of being on the Internet doesn't guarantee any sort of privacy.

What are you attempting to accomplish? AntiVirus, encryption?

Reaction score
I purchased a basic clean my Mac with additional threat removal. I use to have total av. I am looking for anti virus protection and general upkeep to keep it running well

Reaction score
Well, a lot of opinions about AV and "cleaners" for Macs. I can't speak to cleaners as I have never used one and have never had a performance issue because of not cleaning. What I have read is it is not necessary but again, lots of opinions on this.

AV is even more controversial. I have Norton 360 on my wife's M1 iMac and it runs fine. On my MacBook Pro, it drove temps up at idle and did the same on my Mini so I no longer use a third party AV. Macs do have some built in protection against malware but nothing can guard against human error and no operating system is safe from malware, if malware exists for that operating system.

I have never heard of the AV product advertised on the site you referenced and I have never seen that product reviewed on any AV reviews online. That's not to say it is not a good product, just that I have not heard of it.

If you want an AV product, I would suggest doing online research on MacOS antivirus products and choose one. There are excellent reviews out there for both paid and free products.

Ask a Question