Recording cassettes onto MacBook Pro 16 Big Sur

Reaction score
I’m fairly new to Macs. My Pro 16 does not have audio-in port. I have 2 cassette players (cassette to USB player with usb-port and headphone jack, and portable cassette with AUX, headphone jacks). No matter how I connect them Preferences>Sound>Input won’t recognize them as input devices. Preferences>Sound>Output does though. I’ve connected cassette players via USB to lightning, 3.5mm to lightning, and 3.5mm to Mac’s headphone jack (hopeful but no expectation). What do I need, from soup to nuts, to get this to work? From cassette player with proper output ports to cables to settings. Any ideas?

Reaction score
You will need an audio input device that converts the analogue audio signal from your cassette player into a digital form. The Griffin iMic used to be the goto device, but it's not available any more:

This alternative is recommended by some, although I've not used it(still have my iMic):

You will then need one of these to connect it to your cassette player's headphone socket:

You will then be able to record your cassettes using Audacity:

Ask a Question