Keyboard and trackpad not working after login. Cant boot into any recovery modes

Reaction score
Some keys on the keyboard stopped working recently so I decided to replace the upper case with a new one (including keyboard)

I am able to use both the keyboard and trackpad during login (click on my profile and enter my password) but one it loads, it stops working. There is a flicker during the loading and the colour saturation changes so not sure if there is an issue there. I can plug in an external keyboard and mouse and that works without an issue.

I then thought I would reinstall the OS but I can't enter recovery mode either using an external or the internal keyboard. I tried to reset the SMC and reset PRAM/NVRAM but nothing changes (don’t think the PRAM/NVRAM reset works). Interestingly, I can enter Safe Mode by holding shift during start up but non of the recovering modes seem to work.

The keyboard seems to work as I can type in my password during login so I don't think they sent me a faulty one. The trackpad was working before and again works during login but not after.

I can try and replace the trackpad flex cable in case it got damaged during the upper case replacement but as it works pre login I'm not sure that's the issue. Would also be grateful for advice on how to reinstall the OS without being able to enter recovery mode.

Reaction score
Depending on what version of macOS you have, you can redownload the OS installer from the App Store and run it right over the current version that is installed..

Here are links for the installers for the latest 4 OSes:

macOS 10.15.7 - Catalina

macOS 11.0.x - Big Sur

macOS 12.0.x - Monterey

macOS 13.0.x - Ventura

Reaction score
Depending on what version of macOS you have, you can redownload the OS installer from the App Store and run it right over the current version that is installed..

Here are links for the installers for the latest 4 OSes:

macOS 10.15.7 - Catalina

macOS 11.0.x - Big Sur

macOS 12.0.x - Monterey

macOS 13.0.x - Ventura

Thanks so much MacsBug. I had an installer for Big Sur already downloaded as I had created a bootable drive. When I run it directly from the installer, will it wipe all the data (which I want) so I can start again?

Reaction score
No, it will not wipe the data.

What you need to do is use Disk Utility and add an APFS volume to the main container of your drive.

To do this, in Disk Utility on the left side you will see your HD. Right click on it and select Add APFS Volume... Name the Volume differently than the one that is in use. Next run the installer and select the new volume that you created.

After the OS is installed, you can then go back into Disk Utility. Right click on the volume that has your old installation on and select Delete APFS Volume... You will be prompted if you want to delete just the volume, or the volume group. Select Delete Volume Group.

Ask a Question